REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.2L Diesel Engine
- Bring the engine to No. 1 piston at TDC on the compression stroke.
- Disconnect the ground cables from the batteries. Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the radiator fan shroud and cooling fan. Drain the engine oil from the crankcase.
- Loosen the idler pulley and remove the A/C compressor belt. Remove the power steering belt. Remove the power steering pump and mounting bracket, position out of the way with the hoses attached.
- Loosen and remove the alternator and vacuum pump drive belts.
- Remove the water pump. Using a suitable puller, remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Remove the nuts and bolts retaining the timing case cover to the engine block. Remove the timing case cover.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Remove the oil pan as described under Oil Pan removal and installation.
- Drain the coolant. Remove the radiator.
- Remove the A/C compressor and the power steering bracket, if so equipped, and position then out of the way. DO NOT disconnect the A/C refrigerant lines.
- Remove the alternator, Thermactor pump and drive belt(s).
- Remove the fan.
- Remove the water pump and the heater and radiator hoses.
- Remove the drive pulley from the crankshaft.
- Remove the front cover retaining bolts. If necessary, tap the cover lightly with a plastic hammer to break the gasket seal. Remove the front cover. If the front cover plate gasket needs replacement, remove the two screws and remove the plate. If necessary, remove the guide sleeves from the cylinder block.
If the front cover oil seal needs replacement use the following procedure:
- Support the front cover to prevent damage while driving out the seal.
- Drive out the seal from front cover with Front Cover Aligner, T74P-6019-A, or equivalent.
- Support the front cover to prevent damage while installing the seal.
- Coat the new front cover oil seal with Lubriplate® or equivalent. Install the new seal in the front cover.
- Clean the front cover mating surfaces of gasket material. Apply sealer to the gasket surfaces on the cylinder block and back side of the front cover plate. Install the guide sleeves, with new seal rings, with the chamfered end toward the front cover, if removed. Position the gasket and the front cover plate on the cylinder block. Temporarily install the four front cover screws to position the gasket and cover plate in plate. Install and tighten the two cover plate attaching bolts, then remove the four screws that were temporarily installed.
- Apply gasket sealer to the front cover gasket surface. Place the gasket in position on the front cover.
- Place the front cover on the engine and start all the retaining screws two or three turns. Center the cover by inserting Front Cover Aligner, Tool T74P-6019-A, or equivalent in oil seal.
- Torque the front cover attaching screws to 13-16 ft. lbs.
- Install the belt drive pulley.
- Install the oil pan as described under Oil Pan removal and installation.
- Install the water pump, heater hose, A/C compressor, alternator, Thermactor pump and drive belt(s). Adjust drive belt tension.
- Fill and bleed the cooling system.
- Operate the engine at fast idle speed and check for coolant and oil leaks.
See Figure 6
Review the complete service procedure before starting this repair. Refer to the necessary service procedures in this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove/lower the oil pan.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the air conditioning compressor and position it out of the way. DO NOT disconnect the refrigerant lines!
- Remove the power steering pump and position it out of the way. DO NOT disconnect the hoses!
- Remove the alternator.
- Remove the fan.
- Remove the water pump.
- Remove the drive pulley/damper from the crankshaft.
- Remove the crankshaft timing sensor.
- Remove the front cover attaching bolts. It may be necessary to tap the cover loose with a plastic mallet.
- Install the front cover and attaching bolts. Refer to the necessary illustration.
- Install the crankshaft timing sensor.
- Install the drive pulley/damper.
- Install the water pump.
- Install the fan.
- Install the alternator.
- Install the power steering pump.
- Install the air conditioning compressor.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Install the oil pan.
- Fill the crankcase to the proper level. Connect the negative battery cable. Start engine check for leaks and roadtest the vehicle for proper operation.