REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Remove the rear wheels and brake drums.
- Drain the rear axle lubricant.
For all axles except 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio.
- Remove the differential pinion shaft lock bolt and differential pinion shaft.
The pinion gears may be left in place. Once the axle shafts are removed, reinstall the pinion shaft and lock bolt.
For 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio axles.
- Remove the pinion shaft lock bolt. Place a hand behind the differential case and push out the pinion shaft until the step contacts the ring gear.
- Remove the C-lockwasher from the axle shafts.
- Remove the axle shafts from the housing. If the seals and/or bearing are not being replaced, be careful not to damage the seals with the axle shaft splines upon removal.
- Insert the wheel bearing and seal remover, T85L-1225-AH or equivalent, and a slide hammer into the axle bore and position it behind the bearing so the tanks on the tool engage the bearing outer race. Remove the bearing and seal as a unit.
- If removed, lubricate the new bearing with rear axle lubricant and install the bearing into the housing bore. Use axle tube bearing replacer, T78P-1225-A or equivalent.
- Apply Multi-Purpose Long-Life Lubricant, C1AZ-19590-B or equivalent, between the lips of the axle shaft seal.
- Install a new axle shaft seal using axle tube seal replacer T78P-1177-A or equivalent.
To permit axle shaft installation on 3.73:1 and 4.10:1 ratio axles, make sure the differential pinion shaft contacts the ring gear before performing Step 11.
- Carefully slide the axle shaft into the axle housing, making sure not to damage the oil seal. Start the splines into the side gear and push firmly until the button end of the axle shaft can be seen in the differential case.
- Install the C-lockwasher on the end of the axle shaft splines, then pull the shaft outboard until the shaft splines engage the C-lockwasher seats in the counterbore of the differential side gear.
- Position the differential pinion shaft through the case and pinion gears, aligning the hole in the shaft with the lock screw hole. Install the lock bolt and tighten to 15-22 ft. lbs. (21-29Nm).
- Clean the gasket mounting surface on the rear axle housing and cover. Apply a continuous bead of Silicone Rubber Sealant ESE-M4G195-A or equivalent to the carrier casting face.
- Install the cover and tighten the retaining bolts to 25-35 ft. lbs. (20-34Nm).
The cover assembly must be installed within 15 minutes of application of the silicone sealant.
- Add lubricant until it is 1 / 4 in. (6mm) below the bottom of the filler hole in the running position. Install the filler plug and tighten to 15-30 ft. lbs. (20-41Nm).