REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The corrugated outer tube steering shaft column upper support bracket assembly and shrouds affect energy absorption on impact. It is absolutely necessary to handle these components with care when performing any service operation!
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. For tilt column only, remove the upper extension shroud by squeezing it at the 6 and 12 o'clock positions and popping it free of the retaining plate at the 3 o'clock position.
- Remove the 2 trim shroud halves by removing the 2 attaching screws.
- Remove the turn signal switch lever by grasping the lever and by using a pulling and twisting motion of the hand while pulling the lever straight out from the switch.
- Peel back the foam sight shield from the turn signal switch.
- Disconnect the 2 turn signal switch electrical connectors.
- Remove the 2 self-tapping screws attaching the turn signal switch to the lock cylinder housing. Disengage the switch from the housing.
- Align the turn signal switch mounting holes with the corresponding holes in the lock cylinder housing, and install 2 self-tapping screws.
- Stick the foam sight shield to the turn signal switch.
- Install the turn signal switch lever into the switch manually, by aligning the key on the lever with the keyway in the switch and by pushing the lever toward the switch to full engagement.
- Install the 2 turn signal switch electrical connectors to full engagement.
- Install the steering column trim shrouds.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the steering wheel.
- On vehicles equipped with tilt wheel, remove the tilt lever.
- On vehicles equipped with tilt wheel, remove the steering column collar by pressing on the collar from the top and bottom while removing the collar.
- Remove the instrument panel trim cover retaining screws. Remove the trim cover.
- Remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud. Remove the bottom half of the shroud by pulling the shroud down and toward the rear of the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, move the shift lever as required to aid in removal of the shroud. Lift the top half of the shroud from the column.
- If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, disconnect the selector indicator actuation cable by removing the screw from the column casting and the plastic plug at the end of the cable.
- To remove the plastic plug from the shift lever socket casting push on the nose of the plug until the head clears the casting and pull the plug from the casting.
- Remove the plastic clip that retains the combination switch wiring to the steering column bracket.
- Remove the 2 self taping screws that retain the combination switch to the steering column casting. Disengage the switch from the casting.
- Disconnect the 3 electrical connectors, using caution not to damage the locking tabs. Be sure not to damage the PRNDL cable.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Torque the combination switch retaining screws to 18-27 inch lbs.