This system is used on the Mountaineer and 1993-99 Explorer, it was optional on all 1995-99 4-wheel drive Ranger models.
The 4WABS system consists of the following components:
- The anti-lock Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU)-mounted to a bracket which is bolted to the left-hand inner fender.
- The Explorer/Mountaineer 4WABS module-located on the outboard side of the left-hand inner fender, behind the plastic fender liner.
- The Ranger 4WABS module-located in front and to the right of the battery, on the radiator support.
- The front wheel sensors - bolted to the steering knuckles (4x2) or, on Explorer/Mountaineer (4x4) they are part of the wheel bearing assembly and on Ranger (4x4) they are part of the front axle assembly.
- The rear speed sensor-located on the rear axle housing.
- The front speed sensor indicator rings-located on the front rotor assemblies (4x2) or, on Ranger they are pressed into the front wheel hub and spindle and on Explorer/Mountaineer (4x4) are integral in the front wheel bearing assemblies.
- The rear speed sensor indicator rings-located on the ring gear inside the rear axle housing.
- The Explorer/Mountaineer G-switch-located on the left-hand frame rail aft of the No. 2 crossmember.
- The Ranger G-switch-located on the left-hand frame rail forward of the No. 3 crossmember.
- The Explorer/Mountaineer main and pump motor relay-located in a four relay box mounted near the battery on the left fender wall.
- The Ranger main and pump motor relay-located in a two relay box mounted near the master cylinder on the left cowl side.