REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
The driveshaft is a balanced unit. Before removing the drive shaft, matchmark the driveshaft in relationship to the axle flange so that it may be installed in its original position.
- Remove the bolts retaining the flange to the transfer case. Disconnect the U-joint from the flange at the transfer case.
- Remove the bolts retaining the flange to the rear axle. Disconnect the U-joint from the flange at the rear axle.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Position the single U-joint end of the driveshaft to the rear axle and install the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 61-87 ft. lbs. (83-118Nm).
- Position the double Cardan U-joint to the transfer case and install the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts to 12-16 ft. lbs. (17-22Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Re-connect the negative battery cable.
DISASSEMBLY & ASSEMBLY
See Figures 2, 3 and 4
- Place the driveshaft on a suitable workbench.
- Matchmark the positions of the spiders, the center yoke and the centering socket yoke as related to the stud yoke which is welded to the front of the driveshaft tube.
The spiders must be assembled with the bosses in their original position to provide proper clearance.
- Remove the snaprings that secure the bearings in the front of the center yoke.
- Position the U-joint tool, T74P-4635-C or equivalent, on the center yoke. Thread the tool clockwise until the bearing protrudes approximately 3 / 8 in. (10mm) out of the yoke.
- Position the bearing in a vice and tap on the center yoke to free it from the bearing. Lift the 2 bearing cups from the spider.
- Re-position the tool on the yoke and move the remaining bearing in the opposite direction so that it protrudes approximately 3 / 8 in. (10mm) out of the yoke.
- Position the bearing in a vice. Tap on the center yoke to free it from the bearing. Remove the spider from the center yoke.
- Pull the centering socket yoke off the center stud. Remove the rubber seal from the centering ball stud.
- remove the snaprings from the center yoke and from the driveshaft yoke.
- Position the tool on the driveshaft yoke and press the bearing outward until the inside of the center yoke almost contacts the slinger ring at the front of the driveshaft yoke. Pressing beyond this point can distort the slinger ring interference point.
- Clamp the exposed end of the bearing in a vice and drive on the center yoke with a soft-faced hammer to free it from the bearing.
- Reposition the tool and press on the spider to remove the opposite bearing.
- Remove the center yoke from the spider. Remove the spider form the driveshaft yoke.
- Clean all serviceable parts in cleaning solvent. If using a repair kit, install all of the parts supplied in the kit.
- Remove the clamps on the driveshaft boot seal. Discard the clamps.
- Note the orientation of the slip yoke to the driveshaft tube for installation during assembly. Mark the position of the slip yoke to the driveshaft tube.
- Carefully pull the slip yoke from the driveshaft. Be careful not to damage the boot seal.
- Clean and inspect the spline area of the driveshaft.
- Lubricate the driveshaft slip splines with Multi-purpose Long-Life lubricant C1AZ-1920-B or equivalent.
- With the boot loosely installed on the driveshaft tube, install the slip yoke into the driveshaft splines in their original orientation.
- Using new clamps, install the driveshaft boot in its original position.
- To assemble the double Cardan joint, position the spider in the driveshaft yoke. Make certain the spider bosses (or lubrication plugs on kits) will be in the same position as originally installed. Press in the bearing using the U-joint tool. Then, install the snaprings.
- Pack the socket relief and the ball with Multi-purpose Long-Life lubricant C1AZ-1920-B or equivalent, then position the center yoke over the spider ends and press in the bearing. Install the snaprings.
- Install a new seal on the centering ball stud. Position the centering socket yoke on the stud.
- Place the front spider in the center yoke. Make certain the spider bosses (or lubrication plugs on kits) are properly positioned.
- With the spider loosely positioned on the center stop, seat the first pair of bearings into the centering socket yoke. Then, press the second pair into the centering yoke. Install the snaprings.
- Apply pressure on the centering socket yoke and install the remaining bearing cup.
- If a kit was used, lubricate the U-joint through the grease fitting, using Multi-purpose Long-Life lubricant C1AZ-1920-B or equivalent.