REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.3L and 2.5L Engines
See Figure 1
- Remove the camshaft drive belt cover.
- Remove the drive belt. Remove the auxiliary shaft sprocket. A puller may be necessary to remove the sprocket.
- Remove the distributor and fuel pump.
- Remove the auxiliary shaft cover and thrust plate.
- Withdraw the auxiliary shaft from block.
The distributor drive gear and the fuel pump eccentric on the auxiliary shaft must not be allowed to touch the auxiliary shaft bearings during removal and installation. Completely coat the shaft with oil before sliding it into place.
- Slide the auxiliary shaft into the housing and insert the thrust plate to hold the shaft.
- Install a new gasket and auxiliary shaft cover.
The auxiliary shaft cover and cylinder front cover share a gasket. Cut off the old gasket around the cylinder cover and use half of the new gasket on the auxiliary shaft cover.
- Fit a new gasket into the fuel pump and install the pump.
- Insert the distributor and install the auxiliary shaft sprocket.
- Align the timing marks and install the drive belt.
- Install the drive belt cover.
- Check the ignition timing.