REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Except 4.0L SOHC (VIN E), 5.0L, 198-97 2.3L and 1998-99 2.5L Engines
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
The oil pumps are not serviceable. If defective, they must be replaced.
- Follow the service procedures under Oil Pan Removal and remove the oil pan assembly.
- Remove the oil pick-up and tube assembly from the pump.
- Remove the oil pump retainer bolts and remove the oil pump.
- Prime the oil pump with clean engine oil by filling either the inlet or outlet port with clean engine oil. Rotate the pump shaft to distribute the oil within the pump body.
Install the pump and tighten the mounting bolts to:
14-21 ft. lbs. (19-29 Nm) on 17-7 2.3L engines
- Install the oil pick-up and tube assembly to the pump. If there is a gasket between the pump and the pick-up, use a new gasket when installing.
- Install the oil pan as previously described.
The oil pump is located on the front of the engine and is turned by the timing belt.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the timing belt.
- Detach the camshaft position sensor (CMP) electrical connector.
- Remove the oil pump sprocket bolt and sprocket.
Use a prybar or drift through one of the holes in the pump sprocket to keep it from turning while loosening the bolt.
- Unbolt the camshaft position sensor.
- Remove the four bolts retaining the oil pump to the engine block.
- Remove the oil pump from the front of the engine and discard the pump-to-block gasket.
- Inspect the oil pump and O-rings and replace as necessary. Clean all gasket mating surfaces thoroughly.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure, however note the following:
- Prime the oil pump and with 8 ounces (236ml) of new engine oil and lubricate the O-rings with same.
- Use a new pump-to-block gasket.
- Tighten the oil pump bolts to 2-123 inch lbs. (10-14 Nm), the camshaft position sensor bolts to 45-61 inch lbs. (5-7 Nm) and the oil pump sprocket bolt to 30-40 ft. Lbs. (40-55 Nm).
See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9
The oil pump cannot be removed with the engine in the vehicle.
- Remove the engine.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Unbolt the oil pick-up tube.
- On the 4.0L engine, remove the eight ladder frame bolts which were under the oil pan.
- On the 4.0L engine, remove the two rear outer ladder frame bolts.
- On the 4.0L engine, remove the seven LH and the eight RH ladder frame bolts.
- On the 4.0L engine, lift the ladder frame from the engine.
- Remove the two oil pump attaching bolts and the pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Submerge the pump in clean engine oil to prime it. Tighten the pump attaching bolts to 13-15 ft. lbs. (17-21 Nm) for the 4.0L engine and 23-31 ft. lbs. (30-43 Nm) for the 5.0L engine.