REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
This procedure applies only to 2.9L and 4.0L (VIN X) engines.
- Remove the valve rocker arm covers.
- Remove the rocker arm shaft stand attaching bolts by loosening the bolts two turns at a time, in sequence (from the end of shaft to middle shaft).
- Lift off the rocker arm and shaft assembly. If equipped, remove the oil baffle.
- If equipped, loosen the valve lash adjusting screws a few turns. Apply engine oil to the assembly to provide the initial lubrication.
- If equipped, install the oil baffle.
- Install rocker arm shaft assembly to the cylinder head and guide adjusting screws on to the pushrods.
- Install and tighten rocker arm stand attaching bolts to specification, two turns at a time, in sequence (from middle of shaft to the end of shaft).
- Adjust the valve lash to the cold specified setting. Refer to Routine Maintenance under Valve Lash Adjustment for procedures.
- Install the valve rocker arm covers.
DISASSEMBLY & REASSEMBLY
- Remove the spring washer and pin from each end of the valve rocker arm shaft.
- Slide the rocker arms, springs and rocker arm shaft supports off the shaft. Be sure to mark the parts for re-assembly in the same locations.
- If it is necessary to remove the plugs from each end of the shaft, drill or pierce the plug on one end. Use a steel rod to knock out the plug on the opposite end. Working from the open end, knock out the remaining plug.
- The oil holes in the rocker arm shaft must point down when the shaft is installed. This position of the shaft can be recognized by a notch on the front face of the shaft.
- If the plugs were removed from the shaft, use a blunt tool and install a plug, cup side out, in each end of the shaft.
- Install a spring washer and pin on one end of the shaft, coat the rocker arm shaft with heavy engine oil and install the parts in the same sequence they were removed.