REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.3L, 2.5L and 4.0L SOHC (VIN E) Engines
See Figure 1
A special tool is required to compress the valve spring.
- Remove the valve cover and associated parts as required.
- Rotate the camshaft so that the base circle of the cam is against the cam follower you intend to remove.
If removing more than one cam follower, label them so they can be returned to their original position.
- Using special tool T88T-6565-BH (for 2.3L and 2.5L engines), T97T-6565-A (for 4.0L engines) or equivalent, depress the valve spring, as necessary, a000nd slide the cam follower over the lash adjuster and out from under the camshaft.
- Install the cam follower in the reverse order of removal. Lubricate the followers with SAE 50W engine oil meeting Ford specification WSE-M2C908-A1 and API SG prior to installing.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Remove the rocker arm covers.
- Remove the single retaining bolt at each rocker arm.
- The rocker arm and pushrod may then be removed from the engine. Keep all rocker arms and pushrods in order so they may be installed in their original locations.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Lubricate the rocker arm assemblies with SAE 50W engine oil. Insure that the fulcrums are properly seated into the cylinder head (3.0L engines) or the fulcrum guide (5.0L engines). Tighten the rocker arm fulcrum bolts to specifications.