REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
The liftgate glass should not be open while the liftgate is open. Make sure the window is closed before opening the liftgate.
See Figures 3 and 4
- Open the liftgate door.
- Support the door in the open position and disconnect the liftgate gas cylinder assist rod assemblies by carefully prying the locking spring out of the ball socket.
- Carefully move the headliner out of position and remove the hinge-to-header panel attaching nuts.
- Remove the hinge-to-liftgate attaching bolts and remove the complete assembly.
- Install the hinge to liftgate door and tighten the attaching bolts.
- Install the hinge to roof header panel and tighten the nut.
- Adjust the liftgate hinge as necessary.
- Securely tighten the retaining bolts. Reposition and trim panels.
On Explorer, the liftgate glass should not be open while the liftgate is open. Make sure the window is closed before opening the liftgate.
See Figures 5 and 6
The liftgate can be adjusted slightly in or out and side to side by loosening the hinge-to-header nut or bolt. Some up and down adjustment can be accomplished by loosening the hinge bolts on the liftgate and moving the gate up or down. The liftgate should be adjusted for even and parallel fit with adjoining panels.
The door latch strikers can also be adjusted. Loosen the striker center bolt and move the assembly to a new position. Check that the door latches and unlatches easily.