The back-up light switch used on the automatic transmissions is also the neutral safety switch. Refer to Drive Train for the proper procedures.
Ford used two different manual transmissions, the Mitsubishi and the Mazda made 5-speed OverDrive (OD) transmissions. The back-up light switch is located on the right side of the transmission on the Mitsubishi, and on the left side shift cover on the Mazda.Manual Transmissions
See Figures 1 and 2
- Apply the parking brake and place the gear shift lever in any position other than Neutral (N) or Reverse (R).
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
According to the manufacturer, no fluid will leak from the transmission when the switch is removed, but as a precautionary measure, bring a drain pan under the vehicle with you.
- Disconnect the electrical wire harness plug from the transmission back-up light switch.
- Remove the switch from the transmission.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. If necessary, or since your there, check the transmission fluid level and top-off as needed.