REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Disconnect the instrument panel wiring connectors in the engine compartment.
- Remove the 2 screws retaining the lower steering column cover and remove the cover.
- Remove the ashtray and retainer.
- Remove the upper and lower steering column shrouds.
- Remove the instrument cluster finish panel. Remove the radio assembly and equalizer, if equipped.
- Remove the screws retaining the instrument cluster. Remove the cluster, making sure to disconnect the electrical leads.
- Remove the screw that attaches the instrument panel to the brake and clutch pedal support.
- Disconnect the wiring from the switches on the steering column.
- Remove the front inside pillar mouldings.
- Remove the right side cowl trim cover.
- Remove the lower right insulator from under the instrument panel.
- Remove the 2 bolts retaining the instrument panel to the lower right side of the cowl.
- Remove the 2 screw retaining the instrument panel to the parking brake bracket, on the drivers side.
- Remove the 4 screw retaining the top of the instrument panel.
- Reach through the openings in the instrument panel and disconnect any remaining electrical connectors. Disconnect the heater/air conditioning controls.
Removing the instrument panel will be much easier with the help of an assistant, as it is extremely bulky and difficult to maneuver.
- Carefully tilt the instrument panel forward and remove it from the vehicle. Work the instrument panel around the steering wheel.
- If the instrument panel is being replaced, transfer all mounting brackets and switches to the new panel.
- Position the instrument panel inside the vehicle and install the 4 screw that retain it along the top.
- Install the retaining screws on the left and right sides. Make sure the instrument panel is properly mounted.
Making sure the instrument panel is positioned correctly at this point, will avoid problems with fit and rattles, after its installed. Also check for pinched or cut wires.
- Install the mouldings and the trim panels.
- Connect the heater/air conditioning controls and all of the instrument panel switches.
- Connect the wiring to the steering column switches.
- Install the instrument cluster, radio and ashtray assemblies.
- Install the instrument cluster finish panel.
- Install the steering column shrouds.
- Reconnect all wiring connectors in the engine compartment.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the operation of ALL accessories.