REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
To gain access to the fuel pump, it is necessary to remove the fuel tank.
- Depressurize the fuel system and remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.
- Remove any dirt that has accumulated around the fuel pump attaching flange, to prevent it from entering the tank during service.
- Turn the fuel pump locking ring counterclockwise using a locking ring removal tool and remove the locking ring.
- Remove the fuel pump and bracket assembly.
- Remove the seal gasket and discard it.
- Put a light coating of heavy grease on a new seal ring to hold it in place during assembly. Install it in fuel tank ring groove.
- Insert the fuel pump assembly into the fuel tank, then secure it in place with the locking ring. Tighten the ring until secure.
- Install the tank in the vehicle.
- Install a minimum of 10 gallons of fuel and check for leaks.
- Install a pressure gauge on the throttle body valve and turn the ignition ON for 3 seconds. Turn the key OFF , then repeat the key cycle five to ten times until the pressure gauge shows at least 30 psi. Reinspect for leaks at the fittings.
- Remove the pressure gauge. Start the engine and check for fuel leaks.
See Figures 4, 5, 6 and 7
The diagnostic pressure valve (Schrader valve) is located on the fuel supply manifold (rail). This valve provides a convenient point for service personnel to monitor fuel pressure, release the system pressure prior to maintenance, and to bleed out air which may become trapped in the system during pressure replacement. A pressure gauge with an adapter is required to perform pressure tests.
If the pressure tap is not installed or an adapter is not available, use a T-fitting to install the pressure gauge between the fuel filter line and the throttle body fuel inlet or fuel rail.
To test the fuel pump, follow the accompanying diagnostic charts. Testing fuel pressure requires the use of a special pressure gauge (Ford Tool T20L-3314-B, Rotunda Fuel Pressure Testing Kit 014-00441, or equivalent) that attaches to the diagnostic pressure tap fitting. To perform the fuel system test a scan tool is necessary to access the different test modes.
Depressurize the fuel system before disconnecting any lines.