REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. If equipped with an airbag, refer to Chassis Electrical to disable the system.
- Set the parking brake. If equipped with automatic transmission position the selector lever in N .
- Remove the bolt that holds the intermediate shaft to the steering column shaft.
- Using the proper tool, compress the intermediate shaft until it is clear of the steering column shaft.
- Remove the nuts from the studs and remove the shift cable bracket from the steering column bracket, if the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission.
- If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission disconnect the shift cable from the column lever. Remove the steering wheel.
If the vehicle is equipped with tilt wheel, be sure that the steering wheel is in the fall up position before removing it.
- On vehicles equipped with tilt wheel, remove the tilt lever.
- On vehicles equipped with tilt wheel, remove the steering column collar by pressing on the collar from the top and bottom while removing the collar.
- Remove the instrument panel trim cover retaining screws. Remove the trim cover.
- Remove the 2 screws from the bottom of the steering column shroud. Remove the bottom half of the shroud by pulling the shroud down and toward the rear of the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, move the shift lever as required to aid in removal of the shroud. Lift the top half of the shroud from the column.
- If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, disconnect the selector indicator actuation cable by removing the screw from the column casting and the plastic plug at the end of the cable.
- To remove the plastic plug from the shift lever socket casting push on the nose of the plug until the head clears the casting and pull the plug from the casting.
- Remove the plastic clip that retains the combination switch wiring to the steering column bracket.
- Remove the 2 screws form the multi function switch. Remove the switch from the column and leave the wiring connectors attached to the switch. Position the switch and the wiring out of the way.
- Disconnect the key warning buzzer wire from the horn brush wire. Remove the screw that holds the horn brush connector to the column. Remove the connector.
- Remove the 5 screws that hold the toe plate to the dash panel. Loosen the toe plate clamp bolt.
- Support the steering column assembly. Remove the bolts that hold the breakaway bracket to the pedal support bracket.
- Pry apart the locking tabs and disconnect the ignition switch wiring harness. Carefully remove the steering from the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, remove the shift cable bracket from the column.
- If the vehicle is equipped with automatic transmission, install the shift cable bracket from the column. Torque the cable bracket bolts to 13-22 ft. lbs. (17-31 Nm).
- Position the steering column in the hole in the vehicle floor.
- Connect the ignition switch wiring harness to the column connector. Install the column breakaway bolts, but do not tighten.
- Install and torque the toe plate bolts to 5-8 ft. lbs. Torque the toe plate clamp bolt to 62-97 inch lbs. (7-11 Nm)
- Torque the steering column breakaway bolts to 19-27 ft. lbs. (25-36 Nm).
- Continue the installation in the reverse order of the removal procedure. Torque the steering column shaft to the intermediate shaft U-joint pinch bolt to 25-34 ft. lbs. (34-46 Nm).