REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Borg Warner 13-54 and 1995-96 44-05 models
See Figures 1
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- If equipped, remove the skid plate from the frame.
- If equipped, remove the damper from the transfer case.
- Place a drain pan under the transfer case, remove the drain plug and drain the fluid.
- Matchmark the front driveshaft to the transfer case yoke then disconnect the shaft from the yoke. Wire the driveshaft up and out of the way.
- Using a 30mm (1.18 in.) thin-wall socket, remove the rear output shaft yoke retaining nut.
- Remove the output shaft yoke washer, rubber seal and the yoke from the output shaft.
- Remove the front output shaft seal using Impact Slide Hammer Tool T50T-100-A or equivalent.
- Ensure that the output housing bore is free of any dirt, burrs or nicks. Apply premium long-life grease to the seal lip.
- Position the new seal to the output housing and using an appropriate driver, such as the Output Shaft Seal Replacer T83T-7065-B and Driver Handle T80T-4000-W, press the seal into the housing until fully seated.
- Install the front output shaft yoke, rubber seal and washer.
- Install the output shaft yoke retaining nut and tighten to 250-280 ft. lbs. (339-381 Nm).
- Connect the front driveshaft to the transfer case.
- If removed, install the damper.
- Remove the oil fill plug and add the proper amount of Dexron/Mercon® automatic transmission fluid.
- If removed, install the skid plate.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Drive the vehicle and check for leaks.
In order to replace the front output shaft seal on the AWD and 1997-99 Borg Warner 44-05 transfer cases, they must be removed from the vehicle and their cases must be split. The output shaft is retained internally by a snapring. Consult a professional repair shop as specialized knowledge of transfer cases is required.