- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
- Attach a powertrain support to the engine lifting eyes.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Battery and tray
- Support the transaxle with a transmission jack.
- Remove the transaxle flange bolts and remove the transaxle.
- Install the transaxle. For 1999-02 3.0L (VIN S) engines, tighten the flange bolts to 25-33 ft. lbs. (33-46 Nm). For all other engines, tighten the flange bolts to 30-44 ft. lbs. (40-60 Nm).
- Tighten the torque converter nuts to 20-34 ft. lbs. (27-46 Nm).
- Install the subframe. Use 2 pieces of 3 / 4 inch outside diameter pipe in the alignment holes behind the front subframe mounts to align the subframe to the body. Tighten the subframe mounting bolts to 57-76 ft. lbs. (77-103 Nm).
Install or connect the following:
Powertrain support insulators. Tighten the bracket bolts to 65 ft. lbs. (88 Nm) and the subframe bolts to 90 ft. lbs. (122 Nm).
Start the engine. Check for leaks and proper operation.
NOTEWhenever the vehicle subframe is removed or lowered, the wheel alignment should be checked.