Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Rear package tray trim panel
Use new mounting nuts and bolts.
Install or connect the following:
Strut assembly. Use a new pinch bolt and tighten to 50-67 ft. lbs. (68-92 Nm). Tighten the 3 upper mounting nuts to 19-25 ft. lbs. (25-34 Nm).
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions section.
- Measure the distance from the center of the hub to the lip of the fender with the vehicle in a level, static ground position (curb height).
- Remove the parcel tray.
- Loosen the upper strut nuts.
Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
NOTEIt is not necessary to remove the stabilizer bar links from the stabilizer bar.
- Position a jackstand at the front of the vehicle under the subframe.
- Detach the front muffler insulator from the muffler.
- Position jackstands under the rear suspension and raise the suspension until the distance between the center of the hub and the lip of the fender is equal to the measurement taken previously (curb height).
- Remove the nuts, washers, bushings, and bolts. Detach the stabilizer bar assembly from the body and the links. Discard the nuts and bolts.
- Lower the suspension and remove the jack stands.
- Carefully remove the stabilizer bar assembly out of the right wheel well
- Remove the bolt and detach the rear wheel brake hose.
Remove the nut, washer and bushing. Detach the tension strut from the spindle and discard the nut.
CAUTIONCare should be taken when removing the strut and spring assembly so the rear wheel brake hose is not stretched.
- Remove and discard the pinch bolt. Detach the spindle from the strut and spring assembly. To aid in removal, use a large prytool to spread the pinch joint.
- Partially lower the vehicle.
- Remove the nuts and the strut and spring assembly and discard the nuts.
- Position the strut and spring assembly and install new nuts but do not tighten the nuts at this time.
- Partially raise the vehicle.
Position the spindle on the strut and install a new pinch bolt. Tighten to 59 ft. lbs. (80 Nm).
NOTEMake sure the cupped side of the washer is facing away from the bushing.
- Position the tension strut in the spindle and install the bushing, the washer and a new nut. Tighten the nut to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm).
- Position the rear wheel brake hose and install the bolt.
- Install the stabilizer bar, if equipped. Tighten the bar to body bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm) and the bar to link nuts to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Tighten the upper strut nuts to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm).
- Install the parcel tray