Removal & Installation
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly
Position a floor jack under the lower suspension control arm.
WARNINGThe lower control arm must be supported before removal of the upper or lower shock absorber mounts to prevent injury or damage to the related components due to tension applied by the coil spring.
- Remove the bolt retaining the rear brake hose bracket to the body.
- Remove the shock absorber. Refer to the procedure in this Section.
- Remove the stabilizer bar and bracket from the lower control arm.
- Using the floor jack, slowly raise the lower control arm to normal curb height.
- Install Spring Cage 164-R3555 or equivalent, on the coil spring.
- Remove and discard the upper ball joint nut. Separate the upper ball joint from the wheel spindle.
- Slowly lower the lower control arm using the floor jack until the tension is relaxed on the coil spring. Remove the coil spring and the upper and lower spring insulators.
- Place the lower spring insulator on the lower control arm. Press the insulator downward into place, making certain that the insulator is properly seated.
- Position the upper insulator on top of the coil spring. Install the coil spring on the lower control arm. Make certain the spring is properly seated.
- Using the floor jack, slowly raise the lower control arm. Guide the upper spring insulator onto the upper spring seat on the underbody.
- Position the upper ball joint into the upper control arm. Install a new nut and tighten to 50-68 ft. lbs. (68-92 Nm).
- Position the shock absorber into the tower opening with a new washer and insulator installed. Push on the lower end of the shock until the lower bracket is lined up with the mounting holes in the lower control arm. Install a new lower retaining bolt and nut. Tighten to 50-68 ft. lbs. (68-92 Nm).
- From inside the vehicle, install a new upper shock absorber insulator and washer. Tighten the nut to 19-25 ft. lbs. (25-34 Nm).
- Install the rear compartment access panel.
- Install the stabilizer bar and bracket to the lower control arm. Tighten to 15-19 ft. lbs. (19-26 Nm).
- Install the brake hose support bracket to the body and install the retaining bolt.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly. Tighten the lug nuts to 85-105 ft. lbs. (115-142 Nm).
- Remove the floor jack.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check the rear wheel alignment and adjust if necessary.
- Road test the vehicle and check for proper operation.
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.
- Support the lower control arm on a jackstand.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Use new mounting nuts and bolts.
Install or connect the following:
Upper control arm. Tighten the ball joint nut to 50-67 ft. lbs. (68-92 Nm), then tighten the control arm mounting bolts to 73-97 ft. lbs. (98-132 Nm).
- Check the wheel alignment and adjust as necessary.