If a spongy brake pedal is present and air in the hydraulic control unit is suspected, use the following procedure:
- Bleed the brake system.
- Connect a New Generation Star (NGS) tester or equivalent scan tool, to the serial data link connector below the instrument panel as though retrieving codes.
- Make sure the ignition switch is in the RUN position.
- Follow the instructions on the NGS screen. Verify correct vehicle and model year go to the "Diagnostic Data Link" menu item, choose ABS Module, choose "Function Tests", and choose "Service Bleed".
Bleed the right front wheel as follows:
- Open the caliper bleed screw and pump the brake pedal for 3 seconds. Repeat the procedure again.
- When the fluid runs clear, begin the program and continue to pump the brake pedal.
- Continue bleeding for approximately 1-2 minutes after the program ends and then tighten the bleed screw.
- Repeat the bleeding procedure to the left front, left rear and finally the right rear wheel.
- Remove the pressure bleeding device and adjust the brake fluid level.