REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3.4L DOHC Engine
See Figures 1 through 7
- Remove the engine from the vehicle and place it on a suitable work stand.
- Remove the valve covers as outlined earlier in this section.
- Remove the timing chain, sprockets and front cover, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Remove the timing chain tensioners.
- Unfasten the engine balance shaft driven gear retaining bolt, then remove the bolt, the gear and the balance shaft sprocket key from the shaft.
- Unfasten the three balance shaft thrust plate bolts and remove the thrust plate.
- Thread balance shaft remover/installer tool T96P-6A333-AH or it's equivalent into the balance shaft. Thread impact slide hammer T50T-100-A or its equivalent into the remover/installer tool. Pull the balance shaft and front bearing out of the block using the slide hammer.
- If necessary, thread balance shaft rear bearing remover tool T96P-6A333-BH or its equivalent onto the balance shaft remover/installer tool. Insert the bearing remover through the inside diameter of the rear bearing. Seat the tool into the bearing inside diameter before pulling, then pull out the rear bearing using the slide hammer.
- If the rear bearing was removed, remove the balance shaft rear bearing bore core plug from the rear face of the block. Install balance shaft rear bearing locator tool T96P-6A333-GH or its equivalent into the core plug bore using the bolts provided with the tool.
- Install balance shaft rear bearing onto balance shaft rear bearing replacer tool T96P-6A333-CH or its equivalent. Slide balance shaft rear bearing aligner tool T96P-6A333-DH onto the replacer shaft. Position the bearing at the rear bearing bore and the aligner into the front bearing bore.
- Install balance shaft bearing replacer adapter tool T96P-6A333-FH or its equivalent onto the front of the engine block using the bolts provided with the tool. Assemble front hub remover/installer tool T81P-11940-C or its equivalent to the adapter. Push the rear bearing into the bore until it is seated against the rear bearing locator tool. Once the bearing is seated, remove the bearing locator and front hub remover/installer from the balance shaft replacer adapter
Use the impact slide hammer tool only as a handle to assist you when installing the balance shaft. Do not hammer on the balance shaft.
- Thread balance shaft remover/installer tool and the slide hammer into the balance shaft. Carefully install the balance shaft into the rear bearing until it is fully seated, then remove the installer and slide hammer tools.
- Slide the front balance shaft bearing over the nose of the shaft. Position balance shaft front bearing replacer tool T96P-6A333-EH or its equivalent against the bearing making sure to position the flat on the tool upward to clear the flange on the block. Attach the front hub remover/replacer to the adapter. Push the bearing into its bore until it is fully seated.
- Install the balance shaft thrust plate and its retaining screws. Tighten the bolts to 16-22 ft. lbs. (21-30 Nm). Make sure the balance shaft rotates freely, then install the shaft key into the shaft.
- Install the balance shaft driven gear over the shaft key onto the shaft and install its retaining bolt. Tighten the bolt to 34-42 ft. lbs. (46-58 Nm).
- Install the core plug in the rear face of the block.
- Install the timing chain tensioners.
- Install the timing chain, sprockets and the front cover.
- Install the valve covers.
- Install the engine in the vehicle.