- Place the gear shift selector into D . The shift lever must be in the D position during linkage adjustment.
- Working at the transaxle, loosen the transaxle lever-to-control cable nut.
- Move the transaxle lever to the D position, 2nd detent from the most rearward position.
- Tighten the adjusting nut to 10-15 ft. lbs. (14-20 Nm).
- Make sure all gears engage correctly and the vehicle will only start in P or D .
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. This will deactivate the shift-lock system.
- Move the gear selector lever to P .
- Remove the screw securing the gear selector knob to the gear selector lever. Remove the knob.
Remove the shift console as follows:
- Remove the rear seat ash tray and position both front seats to the rear-most position.
- Remove the 2 front retaining screws from the parking brake console and recline both front seats.
- Remove the 2 rear retaining screws from the parking brake console.
- With the parking brake engaged, remove the parking brake console.
- Remove the 2 front retaining screws from the shift console and remove the console.
- Remove the position indicator mounting screws and disconnect the illumination bulb from the position indicator.
- Disconnect the shift-lock servo and park range switch electrical connectors.
- Remove the position indicator.
Make sure the detent spring roller is in the P detent.
- Loosen the shift control cable bracket mounting bolts.
- Push the gear selector lever against the P range and hold it.
- Tighten the shift control cable bracket mounting bolts to 69-95 inch lbs. (8-11 Nm).
- Lightly press the gear selector pushrod and make sure the guide plate and guide pin clearances are within specifications.
- Check that the guide plate and guide pin clearances are within the appropriate specifications when the selector lever is shifted to N and OD . If the clearances are not as specified, readjust the shift control cable.
- Make sure the gear selector operates properly.
- Connect the illumination bulb to the position indicator.
- Connect the shift-lock servo and park range switch electrical connectors.
- Install the position indicator and secure it with the mounting screws.
- Install the shift console by reversing the removal procedure.
- Position the gear selector knob onto the gear selector lever and secure the knob with the screw.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Road test the vehicle.
See Figures 1 and 2
The TV linkage adjustment is set at the factory and is critical in establishing automatic transaxle upshift and downshift timing and feel. Any time the engine, transaxle or throttle linkage components are removed, it is recommended that the TV linkage adjustment be reset after the component installation or replacement.1984-85 Models
The TV control linkage is adjusted at the sliding trunnion block.
- Adjust the curb idle speed to specification as shown on the under hood decal.
- After the curb idle speed has been set, shut off the engine. Make sure the choke is completely opened. Check the carburetor throttle lever to make sure it is against the hot en}engine curb idle stop.
- Set the coupling lever adjustment screw at its approximate midrange. Make sure the TV linkage shaft assembly is fully seated upward into the coupling lever.
- To adjust, loosen the bolt on the sliding block on the TV control rod a minimum of one turn. Clean any dirt or corrosion from the control rod, free-up the trunnion block so that it will slide freely on the control rod.
- Rotate the transaxle TV control lever up using a finger and light force, to insure that the TV control lever is against its internal stop. With reducing the pressure on the control lever, tighten the bolt on the trunnion block.
- Check the carburetor throttle lever to be sure it is still against the hot idle stop. If not, repeat the adjustment steps.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the splash shield from the cable retainer bracket.
- Loosen the trunnion bolt at the throttle valve rod.
- Install a plastic clip to bottom the throttle valve rod; be sure the clip does not telescope.
- Be sure the return spring is connected between the throttle valve rod and the retaining bracket to hold the transaxle throttle valve lever at it's idle position.
- Make sure the throttle lever is resting on the throttle return control screw.
- Tighten the throttle valve rod trunnion bolt and remove the plastic clip.
- Install the splash shield. Connect the negative battery cable and check the vehicle's operation.