REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The mounting location of the neutral safety switch does not provide for adjustment of the switch position when installed. If the engine will not start in P or N or if it will start in R or any of the D ranges, check the control linkage adjustment and/or replace with a known good switch.
- Set parking brake.
- Disconnect the battery negative cable.
- Disconnect the wire connector from the neutral safety switch.
- Remove the 2 retaining screws from the neutral start switch and remove the switch.
- Place the switch on the manual shift shaft and loosely install the retaining bolts.
- Use a No. 43 drill, 0.089 in. (2.26mm) and insert it into the switch to set the contacts.
- Tighten the retaining screws of the switch, remove the drill and complete the assembly by reversing the removal procedure.
- Connect negative battery cable.
- Check the ignition switch for proper starting in P or N . Also make certain that the start circuit cannot be actuated in the D or R position and that the column is locked in the LOCK position.