REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
All Wheel Drive (AWD) Vehicles
Anytime a U-joint retaining bolt is removed, Loctite® or equivalent, must be used to retain the bolt prior to installation.
- Raise the vehicle and safely support on jackstands.
- To maintain the driveshaft balance, mark the U-joint such that they may be installed in their original position.
- Remove the front U-joint retaining bolts and straps.
- Support the driveshaft near the center bearing. Remove the driveshaft center bearing retaining bolts.
- Slide the driveshaft toward the rear of the vehicle to disengage from the transfer case.
- Remove there are U-joint bolts and straps retaining the driveshaft from the torque tube yoke flange.
- Slide the driveshaft toward the front of the vehicle to disengage. Do not allow the splined shafts to contact with excessive force.
- Remove the center bearing retaining bolts. Remove the driveshaft and retain the bearing cups with tape, if necessary.
- Inspect the U-joint assemblies for wear and or damage, replace the joint, if necessary
- Install the driveshaft at the rear torque yoke flange. Ensure that the U-joint is in its original position.
- Install the U-joint retaining caps and bolts, torquing to 15-17 ft. lbs. (21-23 Nm). Position the front U-joint, installing the caps and bolts, and tightening to 15-17 ft. lbs. (21-23 Nm).
- Install the center bearing and retaining bolts. tighten bolts to 23-30 ft. lbs. (31-41 Nm). Do not drop the assembled unit, as the impact may cause damage to the U-joint bearing cups.