REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Mark the distributor and engine block for orientation during installation.
- Remove the distributor assembly from the engine. Remove the rotor. Carefully, remove the module from the base.
- Mark the armature and distributor gear for orientation during installation.
- Hold the distributor drive gear and remove the armature retaining screws. Slowly, remove the armature.
- Remove the distributor gear retaining pin.
- Place the distributor assembly in a press. Carefully, press off the distributor gear from the shaft. Use bearing removal tool D84L-950-A or equivalent.
- Once the gear is removed, clean and polish the shaft with emery paper. Wipe clean so that the shaft slides out freely from the distributor base. Remove the shaft.
- Remove the stator assembly retaining screws, and remove the stator.
- Position the stator assembly over the bushing and press down to secure. Place the stator connector in position. The tab should fit in the notch on the base and the fastening eyelets aligned with the screw holes. Be certain the wires are positioned away from any moving parts.
- Install the stator retaining screws, and tighten to 15-35 inch lbs. (1.7-4.0 Nm).
- Apply a light coat of engine oil to the distributor shaft beneath the armature. Carefully install the shaft.
- Position a 1 / 2 in. deep socket over the shaft and place in the arbor press.
- Place the distributor gear on the shaft end. Make certain the mark on the armature aligns correctly with the gear.
The hole in the shaft and gear must be properly aligned to ensure ease of the roll pin installation.
- Place a 5 / 8 in. deep socket over the shaft and gear, and press the gear slowly onto the shaft. Install the roll pin.
- Install the armature and tighten to 25-35 inch lbs. (2.8-4.0Nm).
- Rotate the distributor shaft while checking for free-play between the shaft and base.
If the armature contacts the stator, the entire distributor should be replaced.
- Wipe the back of the module and its mounting surface clean. Coat the base of the module uniformly with a 1 / 32 in. (0.79mm) of silicone dielectric compound WA-10 or equivalent.
- Invert the distributor base so the stator connector is in full view. Carefully insert the module. Be certain the 3 module pins are inserted into the stator connector and are secure.
- Install the module retaining screws and tighten to 15-35 inch lbs. (1.7-4.0 Nm).
- Install the distributor assembly into the engine block, making sure the marks made earlier are correctly aligned. Install the retaining bolt and tighten. Finally, install the cap and check to make sure everything is secure.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
- Check the initial timing. Adjust if necessary.