Block heater are used to keep the oil in the crankcase warm during periods of extremely cold temperatures. These items are useful in regions where the temperature is below the freezing point for extended periods.
Because the oil in the engine becomes thicker as the weather gets colder, the friction needed to warm and move the oil increases. This puts an added strain on the battery when starting the vehicle. The block heater keeps the oil warm, therefore reducing the chance for it to thicken.
Block heater use household electricity to function. When using a block heater, plug the heater in before going to bed, and unplug before starting the vehicle.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the necessary components to gain access to the engine block heater.
- As required, raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Carefully remove the engine block heater from its mounting on the engine block.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.