REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 7
The 3.0L engine uses two rocker covers, as opposed to the 2.0L and the 2.3L engine which use only one.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Place fender covers or other protective device on the fenders.
- Remove the PCV hose and oil filler cap. Set them aside.
- Disconnect the throttle linkage cable and speed control cable, if equipped.
- Remove ignition wires and wire separator.
If removing 3.0L engine cover . the following additional parts will need to be removed;
- Fuel injector harness stand-offs.
- Throttle body.
- Loosen lower EGR tube.
- Remove either the nuts or bolts securing the cover to the top of the engine.
- Lift the cover(s) off of the cylinder head. You may need to tap on the cover with a plastic tipped hammer to free the cover from the gasket.
- Completely clean the engine mounting surface as well as the cover. Allow to dry before installing gasket.
- Coat the rocker arm gasket surface and the UP side of the gasket with a quality Silicone sealant or oil resistance sealer F1AZ-19562-A or equivalent.
Install gasket within five minutes to prevent sealer from shrinking
- Install the rocker arm cover by using a straight down approach.
- If using original bolts to secure cover, apply small amount of Loctite® or equivalent to bolts before tightening. Tighten each bolt to 71-106 inch lbs. (8-12 Nm).
- If using nuts to secure the covers( 3.0L engine) refer to diagram of order of tightening the nuts. Tighten each nut, in order, 8-10 ft. lbs. (10-14 Nm).
- Connect throttle body, fuel injector harness or EGR tube, if equipped.
- Connect throttle linkage cable and speed control cable, if equipped.
- Connect the PCV hose and install the oil filler cap.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable,
- Start the engine and check for leaks.