REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the engine and transaxle from the vehicle as an assembly and position in a suitable holding fixture. Remove the dipstick and tube.
- Remove accessory drive pulley, if equipped, Remove any accessary belts. Remove the crankshaft pulley attaching bolt and washer and remove the pulley using tool T77F-4220-B1 or equivalent.
- Remove front cover attaching bolts from the cover. Pry the top of the front cover away from the engine block.
- Clean any gasket material from the surface.
- Check timing chain and sprockets for excessive wear. If the timing chain and sprockets are worn, replace with new parts.
- Check timing chain tensioner blade for wear depth. If the wear depth exceeds specification, replace tensioner.
- Remove the oil pan.
Oil pan removal is recommended to ensure proper sealing to front cover.To install:
- Clean and inspect all parts before installation. Clean the oil pan, cylinder block and front cover of gasket material and dirt.
- Apply oil resistant sealer to a new front cover gasket and position gasket into front cover.
- Position front cover alignment tool T84P-6019-C or equivalent, onto the end of the crankshaft, ensuring the crank key is aligned with the keyway in the tool. Bolt the front cover to the engine and torque bolts to 6-9 ft. lbs. (8-12 Nm). Remove the front cover alignment tool when complete.
- Replace the front cover seal with new. Lubricate the hub of the crankshaft pulley with polyethylene grease to prevent damage to the seal during installation and initial engine start. Install crankshaft pulley and hand-tighten bolt.
- Install the oil pan.
- Install the accessory drive pulley, if equipped. Install any accessary belts removed earlier.
- Torque crankshaft pulley attaching bolt and washer. Tighten to 140-170 ft. lbs. (190-230 Nm).
- Remove engine from work stand and install in vehicle.
See Figures 2 and 3
The water pump acts as a lower timing chain cover on the 3.0L engine
- Remove engine from vehicle.
- Remove any accessary belts.
- Disconnect water pump to front cover hose.
- Remove oil pan retaining bolts and oil pan.
- Disconnect both belt tensioner assemblies.
- Remove the damper from the crankshaft using tool T58P-6316-D and T82L-6316-B.
- Unfasten the retaining bolts securing the front cover, and remove the cover.
- Carefully clean any gasket material from the timing chain cover, oil pan and engine.
- Align timing cover gasket over cylinder block dowels.
- Install crankshaft seal protector onto crankshaft if available.
- Install timing cover. Hand start retaining bolts. Apply pipe sealant D8AZ-19554-A or equivalent to bolts 1, 2 and 3. Refer to diagram.
- Install oil pan with retaining bolts and tighten bolts to 7-10 ft. lbs. (10-14 Nm).
- Position and secure damper and pulley. Tighten damper bolt to 93-121 ft. lbs. (125-165 Nm). Tighten the pulley bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Install both belt tensioners and tighten the hardware to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm).
- Connect and tighten the accessary belts.
- Install the water pump to front cover hose.