REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Place protective cover on each fender.
- Remove the coolant from the engine.
- Remove the cylinder head and any related parts.
- On a 2.0L engine, remove the shim and lifter assembly. f removing multiple lifters, tag and number the lifters.
- On 2.3L and 3.0L engines, remove the lifter. Identify, tag and place the lifters in a rack so they can be installed in the original position.
- If the lifters are stuck in their bores by excessive varnish or gum, it may be necessary to use a hydraulic lifter puller tool to remove the lifters. Rotate the lifters back and forth to loosen any gum and varnish which may have formed. Keep the assemblies intact until they are to be cleaned.
- Inspect the lifters for any pitting or scoring. Replace any showing these signs.
- On a 2.0L engine, slide the lifter and shim into place.
- On 2.3L and 3.0L engines, install the new or cleaned hydraulic lifters through the pushrod openings with a magnet.
- Install the cylinder head and related parts.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
The lifter assemblies should be keep in proper sequence so that they can be installed in their original position. If any part of the lifter assembly needs replacing, the entire assembly should be replaced.
- Remove the plunger cap retainer, from the lifter assembly.
- Remove the plunger cap, plunger sub assembly and return spring from the lifter body.
Disassemble each lifter separately so as not to intermix.
- Thoroughly clean all the parts in clean solvent, then wipe with a lint-free cloth.
- Inspect the lifter assembly and discard if any part shows pitting, scoring, galling, excessive wear or evidence of non-rotation.