REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove rocker arm cover.
- Remove bearing cap No. 1, No. 3 and No. 5. No. 1 bearing cap is located on the right side of the engine (passenger side).
- Loosen one nut on bearing cap No. 2 about two or three turns as well as one of the nuts on bearing cap No. 4. Go back to bearing cap No. 2 and do the same to the other nut, followed by the nut on bearing cap No. 4. Continue this alternating sequence until all four nuts are loose. Once loose, remove bearing caps, and the camshaft.
- Remove the spring retainer from the spring assembly.
- Using a spring compressor, press down on the spring assembly and remove the valve keeper.
- Remove the spring and inspect. Replace if excessively worn.
- Assemble valve seats and spring and position in cylinder head.
- Compress the spring assembly and install the keeper. Install the spring retainer on top of each spring assembly.
- Position camshaft and install bearing caps No. 2 and No. 4, and hand-tighten the nuts.
Camshaft bearing caps are to be installed with the arrow pointer toward the front of the engine.
- Tighten 2-3 turns in sequence the nuts on bearing caps No. 2 and No. 4. Continue this until bearing caps are seated.
- Install bearing caps No. 1, No. 3 and No. 5, tightening the nuts until each cap is seated.
- Torque the nuts on each bearing cap to 15-19 ft. lbs. (20-27 Nm).
- Install rocker arm cover and tighten bolts to 5-7 ft. lbs. (7-10 Nm).
- Remove the rocker arm covers.
- Remove the rocker arm bolt, fulcrum, rocker arm and pushrods.
- Using a spring compressor, press down on the spring assembly and remove the valve keeper from the assembly.
- With the valve assembly removed from the cylinder head, dismantle the retainer and sleeve to expose the spring.
- Inspect the spring and replace if necessary.
- Position the retainers on the top and bottom of the spring, and secure in the spring sleeve.
- Install the spring assembly in the cylinder head in it's original location.
- Compress the assembly and install the keepers.
- Install any other spring assemblies using the same methods.
- Install the pushrod, rocker arm, fulcrum and rocker arm bolt. Torque bolt to 20 -26 ft. lbs. (26-38 Nm).
- Install rocker arm covers and secure with retaining bolts, tightening to 71-106 inch lbs (8-12 Nm) for 2.3L engine. and 8-10 ft.lbs (10-14 Nm) for 3.0L engines.
See Figures 1 and 2
Place the valve spring on a flat surface next to a carpenters square. Measure the height of the spring, and rotate the spring against the edge of the square to measure distortion. If the spring height varies (by comparison) by more than 1 / 16 in. (1.6mm) or if the distortion exceeds 1 / 16 in. (1.6mm), replace the spring.
Have the valve springs tested for spring pressure at the installed and compressed height (installed height minus valve lift) using a valve spring tester. Springs should be within one pound, plus or minus each other. Replace any spring not within this range.