REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Open the door and support it with Rotunda Door Rack 103-00027 or equivalent for door service.
- Remove the trim panel, watershield, and all outside mouldings and clips if the door is to be replaced.
- Remove all window and door latch components from the door, if the door is to be replaced.
- Scribe marks around the hinge locations for reference during installation.
- Remove the door hinge attaching bolts from the door and remove the door.
- Disconnect any wiring harness connectors, if equipped.
- Drill holes in replacement door, as necessary, for attaching outside moulding.
- Position the door hinges to the vehicle and partially tighten the bolts.
- Install the latch and window mechanism, glass and weather-stripping. Adjust the window mechanism as needed.
- Install the exterior trim, watershield, and the interior trim.
- Adjust the door and tighten the retaining bolts.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Open and close the door, checking for proper alignment.
See Figure 3
Adjusting the hinge affects the positioning of the outside surface of the door frame. Adjusting the latch striker affects the alignment of the door relative to the weather-stripping and the door closing characteristics.
The door latch striker pin can be adjusted laterally and vertically as well as for and aft. The latch striker should not be adjusted to correct for any door sag.
The latch striker should be shimmed to get the correct clearance, between the striker and the latch. To check this clearance, clean the latch jaws and striker area. Apply a thin layer of dark grease to the striker. As the door is closed and opened, a measurable pattern will result on the latch striker.
Use a maximum of two shims under the striker.
The door hinges provide sufficient adjustment to correct most door misalignment conditions. The holes of the hinge and/or the hinge attaching points are enlarged or elongated to provide for hinge and door alignment.
DO NOT cover up a poor alignment with a latch striker adjustment.
- Determine which hinge screws must be loosened to move the door in the desired direction.
- Loosen the hinge screws just enough to permit movement of the door with a padded pry bar.
- Move the door the distance estimated to be necessary for a correct fit. Tighten the hinge bolts and check the door fit to be sure there is no bind or interference with the adjacent panel.