REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Remove the wheel, tire, hub and finally, the drum assembly.
- Using a spring removal tool, remove the horizontal securing spring at the top first of the assembly.
- Pull the adjuster locking plate away from the shoes.
- Remove the lower horizontal securing spring.
- Unfasten one of the 2 shoe hold-down springs and remove the pin.
- Remove the brake adjuster.
- Remove the remaining hold down spring and clip.
- Lift the brake shoes assembly off the backing plate and wheel cylinder assembly. Be careful not to bend adjusting lever during the removal process.
- Remove the parking brake cable from the parking brake lever.
- Remove the horseshoe retaining clip and spring washer and slide the lever off the parking brake lever pin on the trailing shoe.
- Apply a light coating of high temperature grease at the points where the brake shoes contact the backing plate.
- Apply a light coating of lubricant to the adjuster screw threads and the socket end of the adjusting screw. Turn the adjusting screw into the adjusting pivot nut to the limit of the threads and then back-off 1 / 2 turn.
- Assemble the parking brake lever to the trailing shoe by installing the spring washer and a new horseshoe retaining clip. Crimp the clip until it retains the lever to the shoe securely.
- Attach the parking brake cable to the parking brake lever.
- Attach the lower retracting spring to the leading and trailing shoe assemblies and install to backing plate. It will be necessary to stretch the retracting spring as the shoes are installed downward over the anchor plate to inside of shoe retaining plate.
- Install the adjuster screw assembly between the leading shoe slot and the slot in the trailing shoe and parking brake lever. The adjuster socket end slot must fit into the trailing shoe and parking brake lever.
The adjuster socket blade is marked R or L for the right or left brake assemblies. The R or L adjuster blade must be installed with the letter R or L in the upright position, facing the wheel cylinder, on the correct side to ensure that the deeper of the 2 slots in the adjuster sockets fits into the parking brake lever.
- Assemble the adjuster lever in the groove located in the parking brake lever pin and into the slot of the adjuster socket that fits into the trailing shoe web.
- Attach the upper retracting spring to the leading shoe slot. Using a suitable spring tool, stretch the other end of the spring into the notch on the adjuster lever. If the adjuster lever does not contact the star wheel after installing the spring, it is possible that the adjuster socket is installed incorrectly.
- Inspect your work to make sure it is correct.
- Install the hub/drum and wheel/tire assemblies and adjust the wheel bearings.
- Lower the vehicle and check brake operation.