REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
On air bag equipped vehicles, whenever the steering column is separated from the steering gear for any reason, the steering column must be locked to prevent the steering wheel from being rotated, which in turn will prevent damage to the air bag clockspring.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Before disconnecting cable on air bag equipped vehicles, ensure wheels are in straight ahead position. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position and rotate steering wheel about 16 degrees counterclockwise until locked into position.
- Remove steering column cover on lower portion of instrument panel. On air bag equipped vehicles, remove the bolster and disconnect the backup power supply for the air bag module.
- Remove speed control module, if equipped.
- Remove lower steering column shroud.
- Loosen, but do not remove, the nuts and bolts retaining steering column to support bracket and remove upper shroud.
- Disconnect all steering column electrical connections: ignition, wash/wipe, turn signal, key warning buzzer, speed control. On console shift automatic transaxle, remove interlock cable retaining screw and disconnect cable from steering column.
- Loosen steering column-to-intermediate shaft clamp connection and remove bolt or nut.
- Remove the nuts and bolts retaining steering column to support bracket.
- Pry open steering column shaft in area of clamp on each side of bolt groove with steering column locked. Open enough to disengage shafts with minimal effort. Do not use excessive force.
- Inspect 2 steering column bracket clips for damage. If clips have been bent or excessively distorted, they must be replaced.
- Engage lower steering shaft to intermediate shaft and hand start clamp bolt and nut.
- Align the bolts on steering column support bracket assembly with outer tube mounting holes and hand start 2 nuts. Check for presence of the clips on outer bracket. The clips must be present to ensure adequate performance of vital parts and systems. Hand start the bolts through outer tube upper bracket and clip and into support bracket nuts. On console shift automatic transaxles, install interlock cable and retaining screw. Tighten to 30-38 inch lbs. (3.3-4.3 Nm).
- Connect all quick-connect electrical connections: turn signal, wash/wipe, key warning buzzer, ignition, speed control and air bag clockspring connector, if equipped.
- Install upper shroud.
- Tighten steering column mounting nuts and bolts to 15-25 ft. lbs. (20-3 Nm).
- On air bag equipped vehicles, unlock steering column and cycle steering wheel 1 turn left and 1 turn right to align intermediate shaft into column shaft. Power steering vehicles must have engine running.
- Tighten steering shaft clamp nut to 20-30 ft. lbs. (27-40 Nm).
- Install lower trim shroud with retaining screws.
- Install speed control module, if equipped, with screws.
- On air bag equipped vehicles, connect the backup power supply and install the bolster.
- Install steering column cover on instrument panel with the screws.
- Connect battery ground cable.
- Check steering column for proper operation.
- Road test the vehicle, checking for proper alignment.