REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 21984-85 Models
- Disconnect the negative (ground) battery cable from the battery.
- Remove the steering wheel center hub cover. Lift up on the outer edges, do not use a sharp tool or remove the screws from behind the steering wheel cross spoke. Loosen and remove the center mounting nut.
- Using a magic marker, scribe 2 alignment marks on the steering column and steering wheel body.
- Remove the steering wheel with a crowfoot steering wheel puller. DO NOT USE a knock-off type puller it will cause damage to the collapsible steering column.
- To reinstall the steering wheel, align the marks on the steering shaft and steering wheel. Place the wheel onto the shaft. Install a new center mounting nut. Tighten the nut to 1-40 ft. lbs. (41-54 Nm).
- Install the center cover on the steering wheel. Connect the negative battery cable.
- Drive the vehicle to check for proper alignment.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. On air bag equipped vehicles, disconnect the backup power supply as follows:
- Remove the screws retaining steering column opening cover to instrument panel and remove cover.
- Remove the bolts retaining bolster and remove bolster.
- Disconnect the connector from the backup power supply.
- Remove the horn pad cover by removing the retaining screws from the steering wheel assembly.
The emblem assembly is removed after the horn pad cover is removed by pushing it out from the backside of the emblem.
- Remove the energy absorbing foam from the wheel assembly, if equipped. Remember, the energy absorbing foam must be installed when the steering wheel is assembled. Disconnect the horn pad wiring connector.
- If equipped with air bag restraint system, remove the 4 nuts located on the back of the steering wheel holding the air bag module to the steering wheel.
- Lift the air bag module from the wheel and disconnect the air bag module-to-clockspring connector.
- Loosen the steering wheel retaining bolt 4-6 turns, but do not remove. On air bag-equipped vehicles, remove the bolt completely to remove the vibration damper, then reinstall the bolt loosely on the shaft.
- Remove the steering wheel with a suitable puller. Do not use a knock-off type puller, because it will cause damage to the collapsible steering column. Loosen the retaining bolt, grasp the rim of the steering wheel and pull the steering wheel from the upper shaft.
- Install the steering wheel assembly on the steering column, making sure the alignment marks are correct.
- Install a new retaining bolt. Tighten the bolt to 23-33 ft. lbs. (2-45 Nm). On air bag equipped vehicles, install the vibration damper before installing the bolt.
- If equipped with an air bag, connect the air bag module wire to Clockspring connector and place the module on the steering wheel with the 4 attaching nuts. Tighten the nuts to 35-53 inch lbs. (4-6 Nm).
- On vehicles without air bag, connect the horn pad wiring connector and, if equipped, install the energy absorbing foam. Install the horn pad cover and tighten the retaining screws to 8-10 inch lbs. (0.9-1.1 Nm).
- On air bag equipped vehicles, connect the backup power supply connector and reinstall the bolster and steering column opening cover.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable and check the steering wheel for proper operation.
- Drive vehicle to check for proper steering wheel alignment.