Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Press the hub from the knuckle and bearing assembly.
- Remove the snap-ring and press the bearing assembly out of the knuckle.
- Press the bearing assembly into the knuckle.
- Install the snap-ring and press the hub into the knuckle and bearing assembly.
Install or connect the following:
Disc brake dust shield. Use aluminum rivets.
- Check the wheel alignment and adjust as necessary.
- Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
- Remove the brake disc.
- Remove the pushpins.
Move the inner fender skirt aside and disconnect the Anti-Lock Brake (ABS) sensor.
Detach the ABS sensor wire from the retainers.
WARNINGThe wheel hub and bearing is not pressed into the wheel knuckle. Do not use a slide hammer, or strike the back of the wheel hub and bearing to remove a stuck wheel hub and bearing. Damage to the bearing or the wheel hub will occur.
NOTEIf necessary, clean any rust or corrosion from the back of the wheel hub and bearing and lubricate the wheel hub and bearing with a rust inhibitor.
NOTEDo not remove the ABS sensor and wire from the hub and bearing unless a new ABS sensor and wire is being installed. If the ABS sensor is separated from the hub and bearing, make sure the O-ring is in place and is not worn or damaged. Install a new O-ring if necessary.
- Remove and discard the bolts. Remove the wheel hub and bearing.
- Clean and inspect the knuckle bearing bore.
- Lightly coat the surfaces of the bearing carrier and the wheel knuckle with Motorcraft®High Temperature Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant or equivalent.
Install the wheel hub and bearing and new bolts.
- Route the ABS sensor wire and attach it to the retainers.
- Move the inner fender skirt aside and connect the ABS sensor.
- Position the inner fender skirt and install the pushpins.
- Install the brake disc.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Lower the vehicle.