Refer to Engine Performance & Tune-up for current fluid requirements.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Place a drain pan under the transmission.
- Loosen the pan attaching bolts and drain the fluid from the transmission.
Always place used fluids and oils into a sealed storage container and take to an approved recycling collection facility. Never dump used fluids or oils on the ground or in a trash receptacle. Contamination to the environment can and will occur.
- When the fluid has drained to the level of the pan flange, remove the remaining pan bolts working from the rear and both sides of the pan to allow it to drop and drain slowly.
Some AOD transmissions will have a plastic plunger type plug floating loosely in the pan when draining the fluid. It is of no importance and was used in the assembly process of the transmission. Discard it before reinstallation of pan.
- When all of the fluid has drained, remove the pan and clean it thoroughly. discard the pan gasket. If equipped, remove the pan magnet.
Place a new gasket on the pan, then install the pan on the transmission. If equipped, don't forget to install the pan magnet. Tighten the pan attaching bolts as follows:
C3 and C5 Transmissions: 12-16 ft. lbs. (16-22 Nm)
- Add the correct type and quantity of fluid to the transmission through the filler tube.
- Lower the vehicle. Start the engine and move the gear selector through shift pattern. Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.
- Check the transmission fluid. Add fluid, if necessary, to maintain correct level.
See Figure 3
- Remove the transmission oil pan and drain the fluid. For details, please refer to the procedure located earlier in this section.
- Remove the screen and the filter from the valve body. Most screens are retained using a fastener; through some may use an interference fit between the screen tube and valve body.
- Install a new filter using a new gasket or O-ring.
If the transmission uses a filter equipped with a fully exposed screen, it may be cleaned and reused.
- Install the transmission oil pan and properly refill the transmission.