REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Prior to starting this procedure, set the No. 1 cylinder to 26 degrees after top dead center of the compression stroke. Then take note of the position of the camshaft sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the connector be located in the same position.
- Turn the ignition key OFF and disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the camshaft sensor.
- Remove the synchronizer clamp (bolt and washer assembly).
- Remove the synchronizer from the front of the engine cover assembly. Take note that the intermediate oil pump drive shaft should be removed with the synchronizer assembly.
If the replacement synchronizer does not contain a plastic locator cover tool, a special service tool such as synchro positioner T89P-12200-A or equivalent must be obtained prior to installation of the replacement synchronizer. Failure to follow this procedure will result in improper synchronizer alignment. This will result in the ignition system and fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage.
If the replacement synchronizer does not contain a plastic locator cover tool, attach the synchro positioner tool T89P-12200-A or equivalent as follows:
- Engage the synchronizer vane into the radial slot of the tool. Rotate the tool on the synchronizer base until the tool boss engages the base notch.
- The cover tool should be square and in contact with the entire top surface of the synchronizer base.
- Transfer the intermediate oil pump driveshaft from the old synchronizer to the new one.
- Install the synchronizer assembly so that the gear engagement occurs when the arrow on the locator tool is pointed approximately 30 degrees counterclockwise from the front face of the engine block. This step will locate the camshaft sensor electrical connector in the pre-removal position.
- Install the synchronizer base clamp, bolt and washer and torque the bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm)
- Remove the synchro positioner tool T89P-12200-A or equivalent.
- Install the camshaft sensor.
Make sure the camshaft sensor electrical connector is positioned properly (i.e. not contacting the A/C bracket or forward of the supercharger drive belt). Do not reposition the connector by rotating the synchronizer base. This will result in the ignition system and fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage. Remove the synchronizer and repeat the installation procedure.
- Connect the negative battery cable.