REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Vehicles Through 1988
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the distributor cap and position it aside with the wires attached.
- Detach the TFI-ignition module electrical connector.
- Remove the distributor from the engine and place on a workbench.
- Remove the two ignition module retaining screws.
- Slide the right side of the module down toward the distributor mounting flange and then back up. Then, slide the left side of the module down toward the distributor mounting flange and them back up. Continue alternating, side-to-side, until the module terminals are disengaged from the connector in the distributor base.
- With the terminals completely disengaged, slide the module downward and gently pull the module away from the mounting surface.
- Coat the metal base of the ignition module uniformly with suitable silicone compound, about 1 / 32 in. (0.79mm) thick.
- Place the TFI-module on the distributor base.
- Carefully slide the TFI module assembly toward the distributor connector pins until the connector engages and the module screw holes line up with the tapped holes on the base.
- Install the two module mounting screws and tighten to 15-35 inch lbs. (1.7-4.0 Nm).
- Install the distributor in the engine, as outlined later in this section.
- Position the distributor cap and tighten the cap mounting screws to 17-23 inch lbs. (2.0-2.6 Nm).
- Attach the TFI-module harness connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then start the engine. Using a timing light, check the ignition timing and adjust, if necessary.
See Figures 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable
- Detach the ignition module/ICM electrical connector.
- Remove the screw(s) or bolts retaining the module heatsink/bracket assembly to the radiator support bracket for vehicles through 1993 or to the front fender apron for 1994-95 vehicles.
- Unfasten the ignition module-to-heatsink retaining screws and remove the module.
- Coat the baseplate of the ignition module uniformly with a 1 / 32 in. (0.8mm) of silicone dielectric compound WA-10 or equivalent.
- Position the ignition module on the heatsink/bracket and install the retaining screws. Tighten the screws to 15-35 inch lbs. (1.7-4.0 Nm) for 1989-93 vehicles or to 11-16 inch lbs. (1.2-1.8 Nm) for 1994-95 vehicles.
- Install the module heatsink/bracket assembly to the radiator support bracket or front fender apron, as applicable. Secure with the retaining screw(s) or bolts. If retained with bolts, tighten them to 35-50 inch lbs. (4.0-5.6 Nm).
- Attach the ignition module harness connector.
- Connect the negative battery cable.