Do not confuse the turbocharger with the supercharger, they operate differently and no parts are interchangeable. The turbocharger and supercharger are serviced by replacement only.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
3.8L (VIN C and R) Engines
See Figure 1
The supercharger is not a bolt-on option. It is part of an integrated engine system. Many components of the supercharged engine are not interchangeable with similar parts from a non-supercharged engine.
The supercharger has a self-contained oiling system that does not require a fluid change for the life of the vehicle. The fluid level should be checked at 30,000 mile intervals, or if visual signs of leakage occur. To check the oil, remove the Allen head plug located at the front of the supercharger. The oil should be at the bottom of the fill plug threads when cold. If the fluid level is low, add a synthetic supercharger fluid that meets or exceeds Ford specification ESE-M99C115-A
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove throttle body air inlet tube/air cleaner outlet tube.
- Remove cowl vent screens.
- Partially drain cooling system.
- Tag and disconnect the right side spark plug wires at the ignition coil assembly, and position out of the way. Detach electrical connections at the air bypass valve, Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, Throttle Position (TP) sensor and air charger temperature/Intake Air Temperature sensors.
- Tag and disconnect the vacuum lines from the inlet/plenum assembly/supercharger bypass valve actuator and fuel pressure regulator Detach the crankcase ventilation tube.
- Disconnect the EGR valve-to-exhaust manifold tubes from the EGR valve. Remove EGR transducer from bracket and disconnect vacuum line (If so equipped).
- Disconnect the throttle linkage at throttle body. Remove linkage bracket attaching bolts and position bracket out of the way. If equipped, disconnect the speed control cable.
- If necessary, remove two EGR valve attaching bolts and move EGR valve away from the intake assembly.
- Disconnect coolant hoses from throttle body.
- Remove the supercharger drive belt.
- Remove intercooler/charge air cooler inlet and outlet tubes.
- Unfasten the three charge air cooler-to-intake manifold adapter retaining bolts.
- Remove the three supercharger retaining bolts.
- Lift the supercharger and charge air cooler/intercooler-to-intake manifold adapter from the vehicle as a unit.
- Clean and inspect the sealing surfaces of the supercharger outlet adapter, intake elbow, and intercooler/charge air cooler.
- Position new gasket on intake manifold using guide pins, if available.
- Install supercharger, throttle body and charger air cooler to the intake manifold as an assembly.
- Tighten the two 8mm bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm). Tighten the 12mm bolt to 52-70 ft. lbs. (70-95 Nm).
- Install three intake elbow/charger air cooler-to-intake manifold adapter retaining nuts/bolts and tighten to 20-28 ft. lbs. (26-38 Nm).
- Connect the charger air cooler inlet and outlet tubes.
- Fasten the EGR valve-to-exhaust manifold tube to the EGR valve. Install the EGR transducer. Tighten the retainers to 6-9 ft. lbs. (8-13 Nm).
- Attach the coolant hoses to throttle body.
- Connect EGR valve with new gasket to supercharger inlet elbow (if equipped). Tighten retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
- Install throttle linkage/accelerator cable bracket and connect the throttle linkage/cable. Tighten to 10-15 ft. lbs. (14-20 Nm).
- Connect vacuum lines to inlet assembly/supercharger bypass valve actuator and fuel pressure regulator. Connect the PCV tube.
- Install the supercharger drive belt.
- Attach the right side spark plug wires, as tagged during removal. Attach the electrical connectors at air bypass valve, IAC valve, TP sensor and air charge temperature/IAT sensors.
- Install the cowl vent screens.
- Install throttle body air inlet tube/air cleaner outlet tube.
- Properly refill the coolant to proper level.
- Connect the negative battery cable. Start engine and check for proper operation.