See Figures 1, 2 and 3
It is very important to maintain the proper fluid level in an automatic transmission. If the level is either too high or too low, poor shifting operation and internal damage are likely to occur. For this reason a regular check of the fluid level is essential.
- Drive the vehicle for 15-20 minutes to allow the transmission to reach operating temperature.
- Park the car on a level surface, apply the parking brake and leave the engine idling. Shift the transmission and engage each gear, then place the gear selector in P (PARK).
- Wipe away any dirt in the areas of the transmission dipstick to prevent it from falling into the filler tube. Withdraw the dipstick, wipe it with a clean, lint-free rag and reinsert it until it seats.
- Withdraw the dipstick and note the fluid level. It should be between the upper (FULL) mark and the lower (ADD) mark.
- If the level is below the lower mark, use a funnel and add fluid in small quantities 1 / 2 pint (0.25L) through the dipstick filler neck. Keep the engine running while adding fluid and check the level after each small amount. Do not overfill.
DRAIN AND REFILL
See Figures 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the fluid filler tube from the pan and allow the fluid to drain into an appropriate container.
- Remove the transmission oil pan attaching bolts, pan and gasket. Allow the fluid to drain completely into an appropriate container before removing the pan.
- Discard the old gasket.
- Once the pan is removed, clean oil pan and mating surfaces.
- Unscrew the filter from the valve body.
- Remove the filter with both hands by pulling upwards on most models, then discard.
- If equipped with a grommet, remove and discard.
Always use a new filter and grommet. Never attempt to reuse or clean the old filter.
- Apply a new gasket to the pan.
- Install a new filter and grommet on the valve body.
- Attach the pan to the transmission, then tighten the bolts to 10-16 ft. lbs. (13-22 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Fill the transmission with the correct amount and type fluid.
- Start the engine and move the gear selector through shift pattern. Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.
- Check the transmission fluid. Add fluid, if necessary, to maintain correct level.