Use only Heavy Duty Brake Fluid meeting DOT 3 specifications on the brake master cylinder.
The fluid in the brake master cylinder should be checked every 6 months or 6000 miles (9600 km).Cast Iron Reservoir
- Park the vehicle on a level surface and open the hood.
- Pry the retaining spring bar holding the cover onto the master cylinder to one side.
- Clean any dirt from the sides and top of the cover before removal. Remove the master cylinder cover and gasket.
- Add fluid, if necessary, to within 3 / 8 in. (10mm) of the top of the reservoir, or to the full level indicator (on models equipped).
- Push the gasket bellows back into the cover. Reinstall the gasket and cover and position the retainer spring bar.
See Figure 1
Check the fluid level on the side of the reservoir. If fluid is required, remove the filler cap and gasket from the reservoir. Fill the reservoir to the FULL line. Install the filler cap, making sure the gasket is properly seated in the cap.