REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The front wheel bearings are of the hub type design. The bearings are an integral part of the hub assembly and are pregreased for the life of the bearing. There are no adjustments to be made and they are not serviceable. If a bearing is suspected of being worn or damaged, the hub assembly must be replaced as a unit. Whenever a hub nut has been backed off or removed it must be replaced with a new nut. Never reuse an old nut and never use an impact tool to install the new nut.
- Remove the center grease cap and loosen hub nut about 2-3 turns.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove the brake caliper, then suspend out of the way with a piece of wire.
Do NOT let the brake caliper assembly hang by the fluid hose.
- Matchmark the rotor and wheel hub bolt to assure the parts are installed in the proper location. Remove the push-on nuts from the wheel stud, then remove the rotor.
- Remove and discard the hub nut.
- Remove the wheel hub and bearing assembly by pulling it straight off the studs. If the assembly cannot be removed by hand, use Front Hub Remover T81P-1104-C, to remove the hub and bearing assembly.
- Install hub and bearing assembly and a new hub nut. Only hand-tighten the nut at this time.
- Install the rotor and push-on nuts. Make sure the rotor marks line up with the hub bolt marks.
- Install brake caliper assembly. For details, please refer to the procedure located in Brakes of this guide.
- Install the tire and wheel assembly. Tighten the wheel lug nuts to 85-105 ft. lbs. (115-142 Nm) using a torque wrench.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Tighten the center hub nut to 238-250 ft. lbs. and install a new hub grease cap, using a suitable tool as not to distort of damage the cap.
Once torque has been applied to hub nut, do not back off the nut for any reason. The hub nut must be replaced with a new nut each time the nut has been loosened. Serious damage and or personal injury will occur if the hub nut is not replaced.