REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The following procedure is the same for both the right and left side upper control arm.
- Raise and safely support vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
- Remove and discard the upper spindle-to-ball joint bolt and nut. Slightly spread spindle at the slot opening to remove the ball joint from spindle.
- Lower vehicle enough to gain access to the upper control arm pivot bolts.
- Break off the small metal flags from the pivot bolt heads.
A 6-point socket must be used on the bolts due to the fact that the corners of the heads have been shaved off. Discard the nuts and bolts after removing them. Replacement bolts do not require metal flags.
- Remove the upper control arm/upper control arm bushing joint bolts, then remove the control arm from the vehicle.
- Position the upper control arm and install new bolts and nuts. Holding the control arm in the horizontal position, tighten the nuts to 65-87 ft. lbs. (113-153 Nm).
If nuts cannot be torqued due to limited access on some models, tighten the bolts to 81-88 ft. lbs.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Attach spindle to to the upper control arm/arm bushing joint. Install a new bolt and nut (install the bolt through front to rear), and tighten nut to 50-68 ft. lbs. (68-92 Nm).
- Install tire and wheel assembly, then carefully lower the vehicle.
CONTROL ARM BUSHING REPLACEMENT
See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Remove the upper control arm as outlined previously.
- Assemble Collets T89P-5638-C1, Bushing Installer T89P-5638-C3, Bushing Remover T89P-5638-D and Forcing Screw T78P-5638-A1, or equivalent, on the control arm over the bushing.
- Assemble the tools so that the bushing will be forced outward (away from the head of the forcing screw).
- Ensure the collet fits between the bushing flange and control arm surface.
- Tighten the screw to force bushing out of the control arm.
- Position the Forcing Screw, Bushing Remover, Bushing Installer (T89P-5638-E) and the new new bushing on the outer side of the control arm. Position the Bushing Installer T89P-5638-C3 on the inside of the control arm, lining up the grooves in the installer with the ridge on the control arm.
- Tighten the screw until the halves of the installer bottom out against each other.
- Install the upper control arm as outlined previously.
The upper control arm bushings on these vehicles are part of the upper control arm bushing joint. Replacement of the bushings require replacement of the complete upper control arm/bushing joint assembly.