REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the wiper arms and the leaf screen along the cowl for the front windshield. Disconnect the rear defogger on the rear windshield.
- Remove all moldings, glass stops and retainers.
On the Cougar rear windshield, only the finisher strip of the molding can be removed.
- Remove the rear view mirror.
- Using a very thin piano wire or a a special tool called a hot knife, cut through the urethane foam around the edge of glass.
- Using suction cups or equivalent, carefully remove the glass.
- Scrape off the urethane left on the window frame until the thickness does not exceed 0.1 inch (2.5mm).
- Using a urethane installation kit, follow the directions to prepare the area and install the glass. As much as 4 hours may be required for the urethane to cure. Apply tape to support the glass as this takes place.
- Place the windshield on a stable work surface, inside up.
- Clean the glass, then install the rear view mirror bracket.
Wipe off immediately after application because the primer flash dries.
- Using a lint free cloth, wipe the outer a 1 / 2 in. (13mm) in from the edge. At the bottom of the glass, cover 2 inches (50mm) from the edge. Also apply primer to the leg of the windshield outside molding that is next to the glass. This will ensure the molding to bond to the glass.
- Install a foam dam (with a self adhesive backing) on the pinch weld about 0.35 inch (9mm) from the edge of the windshield. At the bottom of the glass, install a foam dam 2 inches (50mm) from the bottom edge of the glass.
Properly align the windshield to the body of the vehicle.
- Make sure the lower glass spacers are in place at the bottom of the glass opening.
- Place the glass into the opening. Center it on the top and bottom, side-to-side with equal amounts of clearance around the opening.
- Using masking tape or crayon, make alignment marks at the points on each of the four sides of both the glass and window opening.
- Remove the windshield from the vehicle and place it back on the work table.
- Apply an even bead of Urethane on top of the existing Urethane around the entire window opening using a air pressure cartridge gun. The air pressure should be around 40 psi (276 kPa). The bead should be large enough to seal the windshield but not to cause expulsion over the foam dam. Apply two rows of Urethane along the cowl top.
- Install the windshield assembly in the vehicle. Be careful to align the marks of the glass to the body. This must be done within 10 minutes of applying the urethane.
- Install the retainers and moldings.
- Install the windshield wiper mounting arm and pivot shafts.
- Using the rear view mirror installer T94P-17700-AH or equivalent, install the mirror on the windshield.