REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
T5OD 5-Speed Transmission
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely.
- Matchmark the driveshaft for reassembly in the same relative position.
- Disconnect the driveshaft from the rear U-joint flange. Slide the driveshaft off the transmission output shaft and install an extension housing seal installation tool into the extension housing to prevent lubricant from leaking out.
- Unfasten the four retaining bolts, then remove the catalytic converter.
- Remove the 2 nuts attaching the rear transmission support to the crossmember. Remove the bolts.
On the Thunderbird Coupe with the 2.3L turbocharged engine, remove the catalytic converter and inlet pipe.
- Using a suitable jack, support the engine and transmission.
- Remove the 2 nuts from the crossmember bolts. Remove the bolts, raise the jack slightly and remove the crossmember.
- Lower the transmission to expose the 2 bolts securing the shift handle to the shift tower. Remove the 2 nuts and bolts, then remove the shift handle.
- Disconnect the wiring harness from the backup lamp switch. On the 5.0L engine, disconnect the neutral sensing switch.
- Remove the bolt from the speedometer cable retainer and remove the speedometer driven gear from the transmission.
- Remove the 4 bolts that secure the transmission to the flywheel housing.
- Move the transmission and jack rearward until the transmission input shaft clears the flywheel housing. If necessary, lower the engine enough to obtain clearance for removing the transmission.
Do not depress the clutch while the transmission is removed.To install:
- Make sure the mounting surface of the transmission and flywheel housing are clean and free of dirt, paint and burrs.
- Install 2 guide pins in the flywheel housing lower mounting bolt holes. Raise the transmission and move forward on the guide pins until the input shaft splines enter the clutch hub splines and the case is positioned against the flywheel housing.
- Install the 2 upper transmission-to-flywheel housing mounting bolts snug and remove the 2 guide pins. Install the 2 lower mounting bolts and tighten all the bolts to 45-65 ft. lbs. (61-88 Nm).
- Raise the transmission with a jack until the shift handle can be secured to the shift tower. Install and tighten the attaching bolts and washers to 23-32 ft. lbs. (31-43 Nm).
- Connect the speedometer cable to the extension housing and tighten the attaching screw to 36-54 inch lbs. (4-6 Nm).
- Raise the rear of the transmission with the jack and install the transmission support. Install and tighten the attaching bolts to 36-50 ft. lbs. (48-68 Nm).
- With the transmission extension housing resting on the engine rear support, install the attaching bolts and tighten to 25-35 ft. lbs. (38-48 Nm).
- Connect the backup lamp switch wiring harness. On the 5.0L engine, connect the neutral sensing switch to the wiring harness.
- Install the catalytic converter. Tighten the attaching bolts to 20-30 ft. lbs. (27-41 Nm).
- Remove the extension housing installation tool and slide the forward end of the driveshaft over the transmission output shaft. Connect the driveshaft to the rear U-joint flange. Make sure the matchmarks align. Tighten the U-bolt nuts to 42-57 ft. lbs. (56-77 Nm).
- Fill the transmission with the proper type and quantity of fluid.
- Lower the vehicle. Check the shift and crossover motion for full shift engagement and smooth crossover operation.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Shift transmission into the Neutral position.
- Remove the gearshift lever knob.
- Remove the console top cover.
- Remove the two shift control selector lever and housing retaining bolts, then remove the shift lever.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Remove the drain plug, then drain the oil from the transmission into a suitable container.
- Remove the body reinforcement in front of the axle.
- Disconnect the rear exhaust assembly from the resonator.
If not marked, mark the rear driveshaft centering socket yoke and circular companion flange so that the driveshaft can be installed in its original position.
- Remove the four bolts retaining the driveshaft axle to the circular companion flange.
- Position a suitable jackstand under the front of the axle housing and remove the forward retaining nuts, and bushings.
- Loosen the rear retaining nuts to allow the axle to tilt for driveshaft removal.
- Pull the vent tube from the hole in the subframe.
- Lower the front of the axle housing with the axle stand and slide the driveshaft out of the transmission above the axle housing. Let the driveshaft rest on the front driveshaft support and axle assembly.
- Remove the catalytic converter assembly.
- Disconnect the hydraulic clutch line.
- Detach the electrical connectors.
- Remove the starter. For details, please refer to the procedure in Engine Performance & Tune-up of this information.
- With the full weight of the transmission on the crossmember, remove the transmission mount nut using a 21mm socket.
- Position a suitable transmission jack under the transmission.
- Remove the crossmember.
- Remove the bellhousing-to-engine bolts.
- Move the transmission to the rear until the input shaft clears the engine flywheel, then carefully lower the transmission from the vehicle.
- Secure the transmission assembly on the transmission jack. Install the guide studs in the engine block and raise the transmission until the input shaft splines are aligned with the clutch disc splines.
- Slide the transmission forward on the guide studs until it is positioned in the vehicle.
- Install the bellhousing/flywheel-to-engine retaining bolts. Tighten to 28-38 ft. lbs. (38-51 Nm).
- Install the crossmember. Tighten the bolts to 35-50 ft. lbs. (47-68 Nm).
- Remove the transmission jack.
- Attach the electrical connectors.
- Connect the hydraulic clutch line.
- Install the starter, as outlined in Engine Performance & Tune-up of this guide.
- Install the catalytic converter assembly.
- Slide the driveshaft into transmission.
Lubricate the yoke splines with Premium Long-Life Grease C1AZ-19590-E (ESA-MIC75-B) or equivalent.
- Raise the axle housing with the axle stand and install the bushings and retaining nuts. Tighten the retaining nuts to 68-100 ft. lbs. (92-136 Nm). Remove the axle stand.
- Position the vent tube in hole of subframe.
- Align the driveshaft centering socket yoke and circular companion flange, then install the retaining bolts. Tighten to 71-95 ft. lbs. (95-129 Nm).
- Connect the exhaust pipe/muffler assembly to the resonator.
- Add 5 ounces of Additive Friction Modifier C8AZ-19B546-A or equivalent, and fill to a total of 6.3 pts. (3L) with Synthetic MERCON® transmission fluid E6AZ-19582-B or equivalent.
Apply Pipe Sealant with Teflon® to the fill plug threads in a clockwise position before installing the plug.
- Install the transmission case plug, and fill/drain plug gasket. Tighten to 29-43 ft. lbs. (40-58 Nm) using a 24mm socket.
- Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Position the shifter and install the retaining bolts. Tighten to 18-24 ft. lbs. (24-33 Nm).
- Install the console top cover.
- Install the shifter knob.
- Connect the battery ground cable.