REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1 and 2
If one arm requires replacement, replace the other one also.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle at the rear crossmember.
- Remove and discard the upper control arm-to-axle pivot bolts and nut.
- Remove and discard the upper control arm-to-frame pivot bolt and nut. Remove the upper control arm from the vehicle.
- If the upper control arm bushing is to be replaced, use Bushing Remover and Installer Set T78P-5638-A
place the upper control arm axle bushing remover tool in position, then remove the bushing assembly.
- Use the installer tool, shown in the accompanying figure to install the bushing assembly into the bushing ear of the rear axle.
- Place the upper control arm into the bracket of the body side rail. Insert a new control arm-to-frame pivot bolt and nut with the nut facing outboard. Do not tighten the nut yet.
- Raise the suspension until the upper control arm-to-axle pivot hole is in position with the hole in the axle bushing. Install a new pivot bolt and nut with the nut facing inboard, but do not tighten yet.
- Raise the suspension to curb height. Tighten the front upper control arm bolt to 70-100 ft. lbs. (95-135 Nm) and the rear bolt to 80-105 ft. lbs. (108-142 Nm).
- Raise and safely the support the vehicle with jackstands.
- Remove rear wheel and tire assembly.
- Using a wire, or other suitable means, support the knuckle and hub assembly so that it can not swing outward.
It is of great importance to mark the position of the inner pivot bolt washer, relative to the frame mount, to ensure proper camber alignment upon reinstallation.
- Remove the inner and outer pivot bolts and nuts from the upper control arm.
- Remove the upper control arm from vehicle.
Inspect all fasteners for damage, pitting, corrosion, stretching, etc. Replace fasteners as necessary.
- Install the upper control arm into its position.
- Install the inner pivot bolt and nut loosely.
- Install the outer pivot bolt and tighten to 110-148 ft. lbs. (149-201 Nm). Remove the wire or other means of support used to hold knuckle and hub assembly.
- Align the inner pivot bolt washer with the mark made prior to removal. Tighten nut to 81-98 ft. lbs. for vehicles through 1993. For 1994-96 vehicles, tighten the nut to 50-68 ft. lbs. (68-92 Nm).
- Install the tire and wheel assembly.
- Carefully lower the vehicle and have the alignment checked at a reputable repair shop.