REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Label the spark plug wires.
- Loosen the distributor cap hold-down screws or release the clamps.
- Remove the cap by pulling it straight upwards. Avoid damaging the rotor points and spring.
- If required, remove the rotor.
- Position the rotor with the square and round locator pins matched to the distributor shaft plate.
- Remove one wire at a time from the old cap and install onto the new cap in the correct position.
- Position the distributor cap on the distributor base noting the square alignment locator.
- Tighten the screws or engage the clamps as applicable.
See Figures 4 and 5
Clean the inside and outside of the cap surfaces with soap and water. Dry the cap with compressed air. Inspect it for cracks, broken carbon button or carbon tracks. Also inspect the terminals for dirt and corrosion.
Clean the distributor rotor with a soap and water solution. Dry the rotor with compressed air and inspect it for tip wear or damages.
Replace the cap and rotor if any signs of damage or wear are noticed. It is advisable to replace them both in a set.