REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1983-93 Vehicles (Without Air Bags)
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the horn pad and cover assembly by pulling it off or removing the attaching screws from the underside of the steering wheel spoke. Pull straight out on the hub cover. Disconnect the horn and speed control wires from the pad and cover assembly.
- Remove and discard the steering wheel retaining nut from the end of the shaft.
- Install Steering Wheel Remover T67L-3600-A or equivalent puller on the end of the shaft and remove the steering wheel.
- Lubricate the upper surface of the steering shaft upper bushing with white grease. Transfer all serviceable parts to the new steering wheel.
- Position the steering wheel on the shaft so that the alignment marks line up. Install a locknut and torque it to 23-33 ft. lbs. (31-45 Nm). Connect the horn wires.
- Install the horn button or ring by turning it clockwise or connect the horn and speed control wires, install the horn pad and cover.
- Connect the negative battery cable, then check for proper operation.
See Figures 7 and 8
- Center the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative, then the positive battery cables. Wait one minute for the air bag diagnostic monitor to deplete its stored energy.
- Remove the two back cover side plugs, then remove the two air bag module retaining screws.
- Disconnect the air bag wire harness from the driver's side air bag module, then remove the driver's side air bag module from the steering wheel.
- Disconnect the speed control wiring harness from the steering wheel, if equipped.
- Remove and discard the steering wheel retaining bolt.
- Install Steering Wheel Puller T67L-3600-A and remove the steering wheel. Route the air bag sliding contact assembly wire harness through the steering wheel as the wheel is lifted off the steering gear input worm gear and rack.
- Make sure the vehicle's front wheels are still in the straight ahead position.
- Route the air bag sliding contact wire harness through the steering wheel opening at the three o'clock position and position the steering wheel on the steering gear input worm gear and rack. The steering wheel and steering gear input worm gear and rack alignment marks should be aligned. Be sure the air bag sliding contact wire is not pinched.
- Install a new steering wheel retaining bolt, then tighten to 23-33 ft. lbs. (31-48 Nm).
- Attach the speed control wire harness to the steering wheel, then snap the connector assembly into the steering wheel clip.
- Connect the air bag wire harness to the driver side air bag module, then position the module to the steering wheel. Tighten the air bag module retaining screws to 8-10 ft. lbs. (10-14 Nm).
- Connect the positive, then the negative battery cables. Verify the air bag warning indicator.