REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Tag and detach the electrical connectors from the fluid reservoir cap, main valve, solenoid valve body, pressure warning switch, hydraulic pump motor and the ground connector from the master cylinder.
- Disconnect and plug the brake lines from the solenoid valve body.
- Disconnect the booster pushrod from the brake pedal by first disconnecting the spotlight switch wires at the connector on the brake pedal. Then, remove the hairpin connector at the stoplight switch and slide the switch off the pedal pin until the large end of the switch (outer hole) is off of the pin. Remove the switch using a twisting motion. Remove the unit's four retaining nuts at the firewall.
- Remove the booster from the engine compartment.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. Tighten the retaining nuts to 13-25 ft. lbs. (18-34 Nm).
- Bleed the brake system using the proper procedure located later in this section.
See Figure 2
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Remove the air cleaner and ductwork.
Tag and unplug the electrical connectors at the following components:
fluid level indicator
- Disconnect the 3 brake pipes and immediately plug the openings to prevent fluid loss and contamination.
- Remove the steering column trim panel.
- Disconnect the actuation assembly pushrod from the pedal.
- Remove the 4 attaching nuts holding the actuation assembly to the pedal support bracket and lift out the assembly.
- If a new unit is being installed, transfer the attached parts.
- Position the new assembly on the mounting bracket and loosely thread on the 4 nuts.
- Connect the pushrod.
- Install the trim panel.
- Tighten the nuts to 13-25 ft. lbs. (18-34 Nm).
- Unplug and connect the fluid pipes. Tighten the connections to 10-18 ft. lbs. (14-24 Nm).
- Connect all wiring, as tagged during removal.
- Install the air cleaner and ductwork.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Bleed the ABS system, as outlined later in this section.