REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
6-144 (2.4L), 6-170 (2.8L) and 6-200 (3.3L) Engines
- Raise and support the van on jackstands and remove the air cleaner hot air duct.
- Disconnect the muffler inlet pipe from the exhaust manifold.
- Remove the attaching bolts and the exhaust manifold.
- Clean the mating surfaces of the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head.
- Apply graphite grease to the mating surface of the exhaust manifold.
- Position the exhaust manifold on the cylinder head and install the attaching bolts and tab washers. Working from the center to the ends, tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm). Lock the bolts by bending one tab of the washer over a flat on the bolt.
- Place a new gasket on the muffler inlet pipe and install the pipe to the exhaust manifold. Install the air cleaner hot air duct and lower the vehicle.
The intake and exhaust manifolds on these engines are known as combination manifolds and are serviced as a unit. See Intake Manifold removal and installation procedure.Gasoline 8-Cylinder Engines
- Remove the air cleaner if the manifold being removed has the carburetor heat stove attached to it.
- On the 8-302 (5.0L) engine, remove the dipstick bracket.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe or catalytic converter from the exhaust manifold. Remove and discard the doughnut gasket.
- Remove the exhaust manifold attaching screws and remove the manifold from the cylinder head.
- Install the exhaust manifold in the reverse order of removal. Apply a light coat of graphite grease to the mating surface of the manifold. Install and tighten the attaching bolts, starting from the center and working to both ends alternately. Tighten to the proper specifications.
- Disconnect the ground cables from both batteries.
- Jack up the van and safely support it with jackstands.
- Disconnect the muffler inlet pipe from the exhaust manifolds.
- Lower the van to remove the right manifold. When removing the left manifold, jack the tuck up. Bend the tabs on the manifold attaching bolts, then remove the bolts and manifold.
- Before installing, clean all mounting surfaces on the cylinder heads and the manifold. Apply an anti-seize compound on the manifold both threads and install the left manifold, using a new gasket and new locking tabs.
- Tighten the bolts to specifications and bend the tabs over the flats on the bolt heads to prevent the bolts from loosening.
- Jack up the van to install the right manifold. Install the right manifold following procedures 5 and 6 above.
- Connect the inlet pipes to the manifold and tighten. Lower the van, connect the batteries and run the engine to check for exhaust leaks.