REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pump inlet tube and screen assembly.
- Remove the oil pump attaching bolts and remove the oil pump gasket and intermediate driveshaft.
- Before installing the oil pump, prime it by filling the inlet and outlet port with engine oil and rotating the shaft of the pump to distribute it.
- Position the intermediate driveshaft into the distributor socket.
- Position the new gasket on the pump body and insert the intermediate driveshaft into the pump body.
- Install the pump and intermediate driveshaft as an assembly. Do not force the pump if it does not seal readily. The driveshaft may be misaligned with the distributor shaft. To align it, rotate the intermediate driveshaft into a new position.
- Install the oil pump attaching bolts and tighten them to 12-15 ft. lbs. (16-20 Nm) on the inline sixes and to 20-25 ft. lbs. (27-34 Nm) on the 8-cylinder engines.
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the oil pickup tube from the pump.
- Unbolt and remove the oil pump.
- Assemble the pickup tube and pump. Use a new gasket.
- Install the oil pump and tighten the bolts to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).
- Wash all parts in solvent and dry them thoroughly with compressed air. Use a brush to clean the inside of the pump housing and the pressure relief valve chamber. Be sure all dirt and metal particles are removed.
- Check the inside of the pump housing and the outer race and rotor for damage or excessive wear or scoring.
- Check the mating surface of the pump cover for wear. If the cover mating surface is worn, scored, or grooved, replace the pump.
- Measure the inner rotor tip clearance.
- With the rotor assembly installed in the housing, place a straight edge over the rotor assembly and the housing. Measure the clearance (rotor end-play) between the straight edge and the rotor and the outer race.
- Check the drive shaft to housing bearing clearance by measuring the OD of the shaft and the ID of the housing bearing.
- Components of the oil pump are not serviced. If any part of the pump requires replacement, replace the complete pump assembly.
- Inspect the relief valve spring to see if it is collapsed or worn.
- Check the relief valve piston for scores and free operation in the bore.